• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawkin rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems you have repeatedly pointed out that no two Hawken rifles are exactly alike.

After using this as a defense for saying the modern "Hawken" rifles made by various factories could be a recreation of a true Hawken rifle I think it's time to prove your point.

Your assignment: Find any photo of a documented Hawken rifle that looks like one of the modern factory "Hawken" rifles and post the photos here.

By doing this, we will all learn that we were mistaken.

I'm eagerly waiting for your evidence. :)

Zonie said:
Your assignment: Find any photo of a documented Hawken rifle that looks like one of the modern factory "Hawken" rifles and post the photos here.

:)

Not necessary -- every one who has ever posted a picture of an original Hawken, especially if they list the things that were inconsistant in the no-two-alike rifles, has already largely done so to one extent or another. Same if they posted a picture of a modern replica as I did here. ...and as I think most can pretty well see for themselves.

CVA, traditions,thompson center,look nothing like an original rifle of the period Hawken or not. The closest being the Lyman GPR the Austin and Halleck and the browning mountain rifle. But I can still spot them across the room.

But they do all have an obvious resemblance. Of course you can recognize them from across a room. So? They are popular and more recognizeable than an original Hawken that, without the name on it, you'd never actually know if it was an actual Hawken or not you mean? Quite right -- none of them are the same so there is no THE Hawken Rifle.

You, Sir, are the brightest man in the room!

Bragging rights only for pointing out you could recognize a commercial Hawken from across the room but not a real one. No-one could! Traditional shooters are notoriously cheap and I can't be a damn average-raiser...

Small world! We DID help trailer park kids when they really needed it. You shoulda stuck it out and tried High School...

Alden said:
Bragging rights only for pointing out you could recognize a commercial Hawken from across the room but not a real one. No-one could! Traditional shooters are notoriously cheap and I can't be a damn average-raiser...
Bullpuckey I can so can recognize a REAL Hawken (whether original or bench copy) as I know Don Stith, Jerry Gniemi (who has one if not the largest collection of originals), Louis Palmer, Phil Sanders, Scott Sibley, and others who know the differences and have studied the subject in depth unlike apparently you sir.

BTW - Taps is still played on a bugle and not just canned, by those of us who honor the past as well as our soldiers sacrifices - just last week I attended a funeral for a fallen soldier and taps was played by a bugler..

But that's my last word - this could have been a good and beneficial discussion, but you Mr. Alden have decided to play the fool and turned it into a snide soap box rant which has NOTHING to do with the original subject.
As my granddaddy used to say - who's the bigger fool the man arguing with the fool or the fool himself - well Mama Burrows raised no fools........

If you haven't seen the differences between the modern "Hawken" rifles, named that to promote sales and the original ones in all of their variations, I understand.

I've met a number of people who can't tell the difference between a Lancaster and a Bedford Pennsylvania, even if they are placed side by side on a table.

These same people often say the Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle is an accurate representation of a original Pennsylvania rifle

That's okay by me. I suppose to them, it is.

I do wonder why someone who can't see the differences in guns keeps telling people who can see the differences that they are wrong though. :hmm:

Oh, as you've given up on the assignment I gave you and tried to talk your way out of it I'll give you an "E" for Effort.

Back