• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawkeye 1994-95 tv show question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I found a show on Ruko called Hawkeye. It was made 1994-95. I noticed Haweye and a few other had a lot of brass tacks or whatever they are called on the guns. I have seen it before in other shows and magazines. So it got me thinking and wondering if that was common to do that to your gun. So I spent the last 2 to 3 days looking for original muzzleloader with the brass tracks. I can't find any. So is the tacks just a Hollywood thing or did it really happen?

American Indians of the west did it. Guns might have a simple cross design or more complex patterns.
One of Kit Carson’s guns may have had them, but he gave the gun to a friend who was a mixed race, he may have added it.
During the 1970-90s period one would see them a lot on people doing Mountain Man. And as with Carson some white mountain men may have done it. Almost all Indian owned guns from the northern plains/ Mountain area had tacks
It didn’t get much to the south. We don’t see it on Navajo or Apache guns in the main. As far as I know the Carson rifle is the only known white mans gun from that time.
It was never a ‘thing’ in the east. So the late colonial period of Hawkeye was inappropriate.
however not real bad reseach. Such ‘buckskinner’ shows were common, and some one who went to a ‘voo would have seen plenty of tacked guns so it could get carried over in to a frontier show.
I loved tacks and had a pound stuck in most every gun I owned.
That was my miss spent youth. I doubt few white men had the in the west and none Indian or white in the east.

American Indians of the west did it. Guns might have a simple cross design or more complex patterns.
One of Kit Carson’s guns may have had them, but he gave the gun to a friend who was a mixed race, he may have added it.
During the 1970-90s period one would see them a lot on people doing Mountain Man. And as with Carson some white mountain men may have done it. Almost all Indian owned guns from the northern plains/ Mountain area had tacks
It didn’t get much to the south. We don’t see it on Navajo or Apache guns in the main. As far as I know the Carson rifle is the only known white mans gun from that time.
It was never a ‘thing’ in the east. So the late colonial period of Hawkeye was inappropriate.
however not real bad reseach. Such ‘buckskinner’ shows were common, and some one who went to a ‘voo would have seen plenty of tacked guns so it could get carried over in to a frontier show.
I loved tacks and had a pound stuck in most every gun I owned.
That was my miss spent youth. I doubt few white men had the in the west and none Indian or white in the east.
Thanks for the info.

Back