• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hawker nipple issue- help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you are paying $20 for a tin of 100? Seems way too high. I thought I was overpaying at 5.6¢ a piece for RWS caps at the beginning of the year. If you don’t want to online order a quantity (have to order enough to spread out Hazmat charge) you may want to check some big box stores like Walmart and Academy. It recently has been reported here and on other forums that these stores have CCI caps in the $5 per tin range.
Oh i am not paying that. I am one that they call to see if i got anything someone might need. You know that neighbor that rumor has it has everything in triplicate and might let some of it go for the right price? You know, you got any extra ......? Is the question i hear a lot. I would say here in georgia prices are about $8.50 a tin of 100. When you can find em. Small gunshops $10.00, big box $8.00. I am sure there is a shop out there in georgia that has em on the shelf for that price thinking they are primers.

Oh i am not paying that. I am one that they call to see if i got anything someone might need. You know that neighbor that rumor has it has everything in triplicate and might let some of it go for the right price? You know, you got any extra ......? Is the question i hear a lot. I would say here in georgia prices are about $8.50 a tin of 100. When you can find em. Small gunshops $10.00, big box $8.00. I am sure there is a shop out there in georgia that has em on the shelf for that price thinking they are primers.
Just hate it when the sky is falling.

And my answer seems cold, but it's usually- NO, you didn't think enough to get some extra, why should I bail you out.

The solution to the current state of affairs is simple, pool your order in quantity with your friends and get the supplies from somebody like Back Creek. Support the little guy. Enjoy life.

Back to the cap not firing after pulling the nipple and cleaning it and it still doesn't fire the charge. Remove the screw from the drum and use your nipple pick to break up any crud that might have fouled the channel between the nipple and the chamber. Put it screw and the nipple back in the drum and try another cap. On occasion, I have dribbled a small amount of black powder in that hole and then "shot" the ball out. It doesn't take much but to me, it works better than trying to pull a patched ball out of a barrel with a charge behind it. It works. Traditions makes a pipe cleaner with brass wires in it that works really well for cleaning that channel from the nipple to the chamber.

A better nipple can help but probably won't solve your problem completely. Get something like the Hotshot nipple which concentrates the cap fire to help get to the powder better.

Be careful with RWS and some Italian caps. They are brittle and can send pieces to your face.
Rem and CCI are the safest. Shooting glasses are a must but digging pieces from my chin or nose got old. I have the bad ones I use to clear nipples but hold the gun upside down.

Back