• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawkens type .50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Errr...... Maybe you should say the tighter fit instead of the weight of the ball being easier on the shoulder and kicking harder.

"however the .495 ball is much heavier in the kick department."

"For just target practice I prefer the .490, it is easier on the shoulder for shooting all day"

Paul,
Good advise. For what it's worth, when cleaning small parts that may be hard to hold and are prone to being lost, nipples lock parts etc, I put them into a "tea ball" and hang it from the side of a cup or can and let the hot water run over it. Add a little dish soap and you've got a captive power wash.
Mark

[ I hope to pick up a powder horn and possibles bag at the shoot as often times someone sells stuff as I was told.]

Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Holy Black, Aaron ! :hatsoff:

FWIW, there are quite often ( every few days, or so) some very nice possibles bags and/or powder horns for sale, right here in our very own classified section - handmade by other forum members. :bow:

In my experience, you could do much worse...... :thumbsup:

It does have a wedge, its a slotted one that doesn't come out all the way, for whatever reason it was set up like that.

I took some pictures of the gun and upload them tonight.

Here some pictures:

Here she is on the floor, her name is Marge:
Hawken_1_.JPG

Stock:
Hawken_2_.JPG

Middle of gun:
Hawken_3_.JPG

Barrel:
Hawken_4_.JPG

Back site: was glad to see it's fully adjustable:
Hawken_5_.JPG

Front site: adjustable as well.
Hawken_6_.JPG

Wedge: unremovable, not sure why it was set up this way.....:
Hawken_7_.JPG

Breech area? The hole just behind is a machine screw that goes to trigger assembly. Have to remove and back tang screw to remove barrel.
Hawken_8_.JPG

Tang and back of barrel:
Hawken_9_.JPG

Bottom of barrel markings:
Hawken_10_.JPG

More markings:
Hawken_11_.JPG

Top of barrel markings:
Hawken_12_.JPG

Other side:
Hawken_13_.JPG

Nipple: used to have a shield, didn't like it so I took it off:
Hawken_14_.JPG

Locker:
Hawken_15_.JPG

View of wedge, split and unremovable.....:
Hawken_16_.JPG

Front of stock, used a little lead to fill in? or German silver? not sure.....:
Hawken_17_.JPG

Anyways, there she is, Marge in all her glory.

Thanks for looking. Gonna leave the breech alone and just use the cleaning Paul suggested, don't want to round out holes on stock. I did discover a rounded out hole on trigger guard, not sure how to correct that. I can get a bigger screw in it but don't want to start a viscious circle. Thought of using something like JB Weld in hole or a hard wood dowel, epoxy it in and redrill.....It's right below the ramrod and not much wood to grab onto. I didn't round it for the record, been known too, but didn't on this gun :)

Aaron
Patches :thumbsup: (my new name for shooting!)

Patches,
That is a fine rifle,
The nosecap was poured in place, I have seen pinned wedges before.
You might do a little research on the names on the barrel.(H.L. Moss & A. Fautheree)
Marge looks to be a real sweetheart.
Jon D

That .495" ball is the more powerful load especially if you can tell a difference in kick with the same powder charge. More weight equals more energy and if the load is tighter you are likely getting a bit more velocity, too. I'd be willing to agree the .495 load has more uumph.

The difference in weight between a .490 and .495 is around 6 grains.

Hard to believe that can be felt in recoil.

A better seal? Yes. Shoot a modern ML bullet that seal better than a PRB, and you'll feel a big difference. With both being the same weight.

I found some information on my gun.

Andy Fautheree of Black Powder Specialties in Pagosa Springs CO appears to be the builder.

I may call him and tell him that one of his rifles is no longer stagnant and is being fired!

Exciting!

Aaron

Nappers,
Nice that you found the maker. Just a suggestion to you and all other members here.
When contacting someone such as makers, gunsmiths, ect. Always invite them to visit this forum.
Jon D

Jon D said:
Nappers,
Nice that you found the maker. Just a suggestion to you and all other members here.
When contacting someone such as makers, gunsmiths, ect. Always invite them to visit this forum.
Jon D

I managed to find a hopefully recent email address for him and left a couple of links for him to come visit us.

Hopefully he emails back!

I'll keep you posted.

Aaron

Nappers, why'd you do that? :surrender:

took a good buddy and shot that bad boy

Back