• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hawkens style, trapdoor

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im looking for a guy on here that posted a picture of his hawken style stock with a trapdoor receiver. I need to ask him a question
The Hawken styled rifles with the trapdoor breech were made by J. P Gemmer after the American Civil War and unfortunately may be considered beyond the scope of this Forum.
So..., no harm in sending the guy a PM then...

LD

Dang and I thought there was gonna be pictures.....

There’s a gentleman on YouTube that built one and shoots it along with his muzzleloaders and other guns. He has quite a few build videos for it. I would send you the link but I’m unable to start a conversation with you.

Im looking for a guy on here that posted a picture of his hawken style stock with a trapdoor receiver. I need to ask him a question
Yeah, it's a Gemmer. I've seen a few and would like to build one my self if I could find a reasonably priced action in good shape. They were also made on Rolling block actions which can be made into percussion guns. The nipple is threaded into an end plug in the barrel , under the breech block. The modified firing pin strikes the cap through the breech block.
I think at one time Dixie may have sold percussion gun made up on Rolling Blocks but could be mistaken . I saw them some where years ago and felt it a pretty neat idea.
The trouble with a trapdoor Gemmer (which is primarily a black powder cartridge gun) is they have to be so long with the barrel threaded into the end of the action to have a reasonable barrel length especially if set up as a percussion gun.

I would think that photos and discussions of a modern rifle like the Gemmer, or even the Rolling Blocks and Sharps, would be allowed on the non-muzzleloading thread. Many of us have interest in shooting these more up to date firearms. It would be a lot more interesting than the political BS that's on there.

Yeah, it's a Gemmer. I've seen a few and would like to build one my self if I could find a reasonably priced action in good shape. They were also made on Rolling block actions which can be made into percussion guns. The nipple is threaded into an end plug in the barrel , under the breech block. The modified firing pin strikes the cap through the breech block.
I think at one time Dixie may have sold percussion gun made up on Rolling Blocks but could be mistaken . I saw them some where years ago and felt it a pretty neat idea.
The trouble with a trapdoor Gemmer (which is primarily a black powder cartridge gun) is they have to be so long with the barrel threaded into the end of the action to have a reasonable barrel length especially if set up as a percussion gun.
Thanks M. de land. I am looking into it.

"Reasonable barrel length" would seem to be subjective, Id suggest making one whatever length visually appeals to you and proceed as it if didnt really matter what the actual bore length, because it probably doesnt really make that much difference at the relatively longer lengths Im guessing you desire.

I like a bit shorter than seems commonly liked for percussion period, both for looks and carrying. The 26" Renegade may transform into a Gemmer type with an 1868 action at some point, and the remaining 22" barrel will probably get the bullets out just fine.

Trapdoor actions are around (never looked for rolling block actions), ive seen them on ebay and on sites handling period parts. Ive had an 1868 action 15 or so years waiting for a workable rifle I could afford, the crescent butts being a major stumbling bock for me (I dislike them greatly), until I realized a renegade would make a workable project. Waiting for perfect was going to result in it never happening and somebody buying the parts at my estate sale.

Last edited:
These are post Civil War and we do not consider that a “traditional” muzzleloader here.
You're right. That's why I thought anything other than traditional muzzleloaders would be allowed in the non-muzzleloading forum. I suppose the problem becomes where is the line drawn. I sure wouldn't want to see anything about AK's or even magazine guns allowed.

The trouble with a trapdoor Gemmer (which is primarily a black powder cartridge gun) is they have to be so long w
Pack rat. I got all excited and was going to make an offer. on this Gemmer. Then I noticed it was February 2018. Thanks man

Back