• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hawken types- the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please expand on this! Which vernier tang sight did you buy ? How was installing it ? Sharps rifles generally have tang screws which need no additonal drilling to add a sight. And which Lyman Target front sight did you go with ? Did you have to modify either the sight base or barrel dovetail ?
To be honest I never thought of adding a vernier rear sight or a target sight on a percussion rifle, don't know why, it just never occured to me.

Beautiful rifle! Looks much like the RMH .50 I purchased over a year ago (Cabela's had an excellent deal at the time). To mine I almost immediately added a vernier tang sight and replaced the front blade with a Lyman Target front sight, with all the various inserts. I love it off the bench, but a little heavy for offhand shooting (I use my Pedersoli Kentucky .45 for that).

Here you go:

EP0711 Vernier Tang Sight (2 1/2" Leaf)
And
EP0610 Lyman Target Front Sight

BUT, make sure on the tang sight that YOUR rifle is 1.5" center-to-center for the mounting screws. My RMH was exactly that and this sight looks like it grew there -- perfect fit/no drilling. The front sight is a bit trickier, but doable if you're reasonably proficient with safely vising the barrel, tapping out the blade front sight with a brass punch, and fitting the Lyman sight in the same dovetail. This DID require a bit of careful filing to slightly enlarge the dovetail, but you want it to be a snug tap-in fitment -- just make sure and use grease on the dovetail base, and TAKE YOUR TIME. The results are definitely worth the effort. I felt a rifle of this quality deserved something more than the standard buckhorn rear and blade front sights, and besides it's just fun using the vernier sight with the Lyman target front sight.

IMG_1342.JPG

John Bergman Full Stock 54 caliber. Your Pedersoil is very nice I have had the opportunity to see one up close they do make a nice Hawken I also have another Hawken by John I will post a pic of it.

Back