• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hawken types- the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had been looking for a Hawken type for a while. I had a terrific Lyman GPR, excellent shooter and a virtual tack driver at 50yds, and at the price point, hard to beat.
I just bought this one from a fellow member, a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken .50 and I have to say it's exceeded my expectations aesthetically. I also like the balance of the rifle, the maple stock is beautiful and I cannot wait to shoot it.

First stop, the range, will update this thread with pics as I go along. Please post your own choice for Hawken-type rifles, production or custom. I love the Hawken!

usEMY28h.jpg

usEMY28h.jpg

ZwDbmA1h.jpg

Wow, that is an absolutely beautiful rifle! You would think being from the mountains of West Virginia that I would favor the long rifle but man there is just something about a good looking Hawken rifle that really turns me on. Very nice

Stunning rifle. I am sure it will shoot as good for you as it looks.

My favorite Hawken style rifle? An old CVA "St. Louis" Hawken, left hand. My first muzzleloading rifle, a birthday gift from my mother many years ago, that I killed my first BP deer with.

There are subtle differences in architecture that give the preference nod to the custom Hawken Rifle based on quality of parts and assembly quality.

You do have a great looking rifle and it will be a very good shooter.

I am always reminded of the story told by Bob Browner, a maker of custom Hawken rifles. At a Contemporary Longrifle Association Show, a distinguished looking gentleman with an Italian accent introduced himself to Bob, Pierangelo Pedersoli. He admired Bob's guns and said his factory could make guns as good as Bob's, but at the necessary price point they wouldn't sell many.

Now then, based on what I can afford to spend, when I walked home with a rifle, it would probably be the Pedersoli if it looked like yours.

Thank you Grenadier1758, very much appreciated. I believe these may represent the apex of what can be bought off of a production line. After the Pedersoli's it's off to the realm of custom rifles. I once saw a friends rifle built by the great Herchel House. Needless to say it was exquisite, a work of art. And also a rifle I couldn't possibly afford, never mind wait 2yrs for- I'm 67yrs old already!
I'll post range pictures as soon as I'm able, by the way I enjoy your posts very much. I always pic bits of new knowledge and history and looks for your posts when I can.

There are subtle differences in architecture that give the preference nod to the custom Hawken Rifle based on quality of parts and assembly quality.

You do have a great looking rifle and it will be a very good shooter.

I am always reminded of the story told by Bob Browner, a maker of custom Hawken rifles. At a Contemporary Longrifle Association Show, a distinguished looking gentleman with an Italian accent introduced himself to Bob, Pierangelo Pedersoli. He admired Bob's guns and said his factory could make guns as good as Bob's, but at the necessary price point they wouldn't sell many.

Now then, based on what I can afford to spend, when I walked home with a rifle, it would probably be the Pedersoli if it looked like yours.

Jonathan,

You did well! The rifle is beautiful. We are looking forward to your range report.

I have a .54 caliber Hawken fullstock built by John Bergmann. I need to take some pictures one of these days. The stock on mine has less figure than yours, but I requested a plainer grade of maple and a dark finish. Just my preference for my personal rifle, but I love to see a nicely figured stock, and some customers ordered finer wood from the original Hawken shop. Baird's book shows several rifles with great figure in the stock.

In any event, you got yourself a keeper! The wood and metal fit and finish look terrific, and I'll bet it's a shooter, too!

Thanks for sharing.

Notchy Bob

Notchy Bob,
Thank you! You are another 'watch for' posting member, always a wealth of information and insight. Please do post pics of your rifle(s) in this thread, would love to see the John Bergmann.
Happy trails!

Jonathan,

You did well! The rifle is beautiful. We are looking forward to your range report.

I have a .54 caliber Hawken fullstock built by John Bergmann. I need to take some pictures one of these days. The stock on mine has less figure than yours, but I requested a plainer grade of maple and a dark finish. Just my preference for my personal rifle, but I love to see a nicely figured stock, and some customers ordered finer wood from the original Hawken shop. Baird's book shows several rifles with great figure in the stock.

In any event, you got yourself a keeper! The wood and metal fit and finish look terrific, and I'll bet it's a shooter, too!

Thanks for sharing.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Beautiful rifle! Looks much like the RMH .50 I purchased over a year ago (Cabela's had an excellent deal at the time). To mine I almost immediately added a vernier tang sight and replaced the front blade with a Lyman Target front sight, with all the various inserts. I love it off the bench, but a little heavy for offhand shooting (I use my Pedersoli Kentucky .45 for that).

Attachments

• HAWKEN 1.jpg
    HAWKEN 1.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 248

Latest posts

Back