• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken strikes again!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't get excited after a shot " shaking like a leaf " it's time to hang it up. Great shot, and congrats on a nice buck. But, I will say just being out and enjoying nature is a great thing!
Agreed!! My view this morning
EDD3E9B3-A345-4D23-B05F-EFA5FBEC39AD.jpeg

That Jittery Jumpy Feeling you get after a downed shot you can’t buy a feeling like that it’s so cool.It’s part of the hunt,Great…

After a couple of long years with plenty of beautiful days spent in the woods and nothing but memories to show, this fellow came to me this morning a little after 9. He was moving kind of quickly across my stand from the left, and stopped in a bush about 20 yards off to look up at me. As he started going again, picking up speed, I threw my Hawken to my shoulder and POW! I was shooting a linen patched .445 round ball in front of 80gr FFg Goex. The ball went in just behind his right shoulder, and came out through his left scapula, hitting a lung. He hunched up, took off straight as an arrow. I heard him crunching through the leaves a few bounds, then silence. Shook like a leaf while I was reloading. It gets me every time! He was in a pile at the base of a young pine tree about 50 yards from where I hit him.
Jay
Congratulations Jay.

Congrats on a fine deer, I have never gotten spooked taking a bead on a deer, but once the deed is done it is shake city for a bit. Loja man that is a fine looking spot, good luck.

Very good buck and beautiful country to take him in. Quite a workout carrying meat up those hills, but I imagine very well worth it. I haven't shaken like a leaf shooting any game or predator in years. Doesn't mean I don't remember what the felt like or still get excited by the hunt. The excitement is of another stage. Won't be hanging my rifles up anytime soon, either. Bet you won't if that happens, too. The enjoyment of hunting is always the enjoyment of hunting though the years, even as we walk into the changes life brings.

Back