• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hawken strikes again!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a couple of long years with plenty of beautiful days spent in the woods and nothing but memories to show, this fellow came to me this morning a little after 9. He was moving kind of quickly across my stand from the left, and stopped in a bush about 20 yards off to look up at me. As he started going again, picking up speed, I threw my Hawken to my shoulder and POW! I was shooting a linen patched .445 round ball in front of 80gr FFg Goex. The ball went in just behind his right shoulder, and came out through his left scapula, hitting a lung. He hunched up, took off straight as an arrow. I heard him crunching through the leaves a few bounds, then silence. Shook like a leaf while I was reloading. It gets me every time! He was in a pile at the base of a young pine tree about 50 yards from where I hit him.
Jay

Attachments

• A7A7A883-BBAB-4252-88CD-5A5376298910.jpeg
    A7A7A883-BBAB-4252-88CD-5A5376298910.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 292
  • D9D4A93D-C84B-42FF-A92A-119B99FE23A3.jpeg
    D9D4A93D-C84B-42FF-A92A-119B99FE23A3.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 291
After a couple of long years with plenty of beautiful days spent in the woods and nothing but memories to show, this fellow came to me this morning a little after 9. He was moving kind of quickly across my stand from the left, and stopped in a bush about 20 yards off to look up at me. As he started going again, picking up speed, I threw my Hawken to my shoulder and POW! I was shooting a linen patched .445 round ball in front of 80gr FFg Goex. The ball went in just behind his right shoulder, and came out through his left scapula, hitting a lung. He hunched up, took off straight as an arrow. I heard him crunching through the leaves a few bounds, then silence. Shook like a leaf while I was reloading. It gets me every time! He was in a pile at the base of a young pine tree about 50 yards from where I hit him.
Jay
Out standing deer/shot and gun /the stars must have been aliened or somethin !/Ed

It’s nice to get a big one after a couple years of trying!! I hear you about shaking like a leaf!! Good analogy!! Congrats!!

If you don't get excited after a shot " shaking like a leaf " it's time to hang it up. Great shot, and congrats on a nice buck. But, I will say just being out and enjoying nature is a great thing!

Back