• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Rifle question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaygood

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello ya'll

I have just gotten back into Traditioal muzzleloading again after getting caught up in the inline craze.
I bought a NIB CVA Frontier Rifle in .50 that has never been fired,the previous owner had never even pinned it together. It still had the owners manual(with Nov. 27, 1989 stamped on the back) attached to the trigger guard. Not to bad for $100.

Anyways, after shooting it this week it has really put the fever back into me for shooting sidelocks. I had T/C Hawken years ago and traded it (I know dumb move), and was wondering other than a T/C Hawken (kinda hard to find around here) how does a Cabelas Hawken rifle and/or a Traditions Hawken compare to a T/C?

I was wondering are they overpriced junk or a good rifle for the money.

see ya'll around the board.

The Cabela's gun is made by the same manufacturer as the Lyman's, many here have found the quality to be good for the price range. Don't have personal experience with the Traditions Hawken but there was a discussion about that gun recently...

If you would like another T/C Hawken, try one of the auction sites like Auction Arms or GunBroker. Also be sure to check the classifieds of this site, T/C's show up there fairly often.

Welcome back to the good side of muzzleloading :wink: have fun.

Spot

Welcome.
What Spot said.
I might add, as much as I like Cabelas, I think they are on the high side with some of their rifles. You can do your homework and shop around and find the identical rifle as the Cabelas ,made by the same company, for way less.

My first muzzleloader was a Tradition's Hawken. It was a cheap way to get me started in to traditional muzzleloading and was easy to get by the "committee." :yakyak: The only problem I had was the lock was a bit iffy and I replaced it. (Flintlock). I have no experience with the percussion version.

The cabela's and the lymans are both made by Investarm of Italy. Good quality and most are good shooters.

welcome back from the dark side young Sykwalker :thumbsup:

Horntoad,

Welcome back to "the dark side". You can find T/C Hawken rifles used occassionally, but will pay a good price for one in good shape. I think new ones can still be had, too. The Cabela's Traditional Hawken is manufactured by the same company (Investarms) that makes the Lyman products. I know nothing about the Traditions Hawken, so can't comment. The Cabela's gun is a solid gun in the very "rough" style of a Hawken, it was my first ML and it served me well. I still have it but have rebarreled it. IMHO it is now overpriced for what you get. For the same, or less, money you can get a Lyman GPR from MidSouth Shooter's Supply ($281 for the kit and about $380 for the completed gun) and have a much better representation of a plains style rifle. They shoot extremely well, too.

Watch yer topknot . . . Otter

As was mentioned the Cabela's and Lyman are made by Investarms in Italy. The Traditions guns are made in Spain by the same company that used to make the CVA rifles and their quality is somewhat comparable.

zonie :)

I have a few T/C's and a Cabela's Flintlock.

If you can, buy the T/C's.
If you can't find them for a good price used,
Hey there is nothing wrong with the Cabela's sidelocks..

Here is my Flintlock in .45 cal.. It's taking many a deer in the 7 years I've own it..

492687.jpg

The TC Hawkens are made in USA and that's a good thing! Keep your eye open, they are out there and most of the world is now into inlines, so the side locks tend to go cheap. That two is a good thing. Watch the adds here I got my last on here for a reasonable price and it was in excellent shape too.

If you'll ck someplaces out you can beat that price the "C"s get for them I got a used T/C Renagade here for 130 I think it was and couldnt of been happy, and like underhammers you can swap barrels to you get what you want. The Lymans 2 years ago I got on sale for under 100 just watch or ask people on here for best places to go you'll find some good deals. FRED :hatsoff:

I have a Cabela's perc, and two T/C's...I don't see any quality difference..all are excellent guns for the money. I bought the second T/C from a pawnshop for $125.00 in another shop there were 3 for $199.95 each. As someone said, there is no demand for 'em. A pawn shop owner told me he now refuses to take them in.
Look around and save money...Hank

I had to run off before looking at the ads on here, ya got to ck them everyday first thing to find the good ones at a good price, I dont know how you can say T/C and Cable's are about the same Ive never had Cab's replace a part for free as T/C does ( and Ive got no love for T/C only had one out of close to 30 something rifles since 71/72, dont know about Traditions and CVa being the same mine sure are Not! And my 54 cal CVA Mountain was 200 new last year (ck Deer Creek for CVA rifles) the grat Plains Rifle that was 350 I think would of been a deal it I see stayed unsold for less than a week, I wish I could find a pawn shop that had just one BP rifle hats not a :cursing: dirty word starts in-....ine. :rotf: You can find some great ones here or off here just dont rush your rifle is close at hand :) I'm sure. Fred :hatsoff:

update

I found and am working out a trade on a T/C Hawken in .54.
Should have it by Saturday if all works out.

Back