• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Pronunciation/spelling fun!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard it was because they had to go to Holland to get a ride on a Dutch ship. This was what ancestors of mine passed down. Who knows?
Half German, half Scott here;
I was always told it was because 'Germany' was not yet a stable 'country's, just coming out of the fall of the Holly Roman Empire they were still pretty much a group of warring 'states' seeking power and control.
In Europe many referred to "Germans" as 'Nomads'. While here in the colonies they well knew of Holland and the Dutch so pretty much called all "Dutchies" even when many were actually 'Germans'.

But for me, I call mine a 'Hawkin'

I heard it was because they had to go to Holland to get a ride on a Dutch ship. This was what ancestors of mine passed down. Who knows?
Well it’s true that the Dutch were among the premier oceangoing nations at one time. But really the German people call themselves “Deutch“ in the German language. English people and others from New York down to Pennsylvania called the Amish “dutch” by mistake... us true Dutch are also a forgiving people and allow them this mistake without a grudge...

Hawkins - does bug me. Also, their, they're and there and your, you're, etc. I'm no English major, but just some common correct spelling would be nice. (I am married to a prior teacher, after 45 years that may have something to do with it)

"Me and Joe went...." bugs me. A person normally wouldn't say "Me went to the store." Also, one normally names the other party first. "Joe and I went..." Of course Jedediah Smith who read the Bible a lot probably said "Me and Gabe went buffer huntin."

I have to release some of my OCD this afternoon. It is a Hawken rifle. It is not a Hawkin, Hawkins, or Hawkens. I’m curious if the word Hawken is used the same as the word deer? There is a deer in my yard. There are ten deer in my yard. Saying “There are ten deers in my yard” is just wrong lol!!! Is it....I have four Hawken rifles or I have four Hawkens rifles? I’ve had way too much coffee!!!
I have a buch of Hawkers....

Back