• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Pronunciation/spelling fun!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have dyslexia that effects my ability to spell, and names with faces is very difficult. So Hawken and kin both look the same to me unless I’m concentrating very hard
Spelling has changed a lot.
Raleigh North Carolina is named after sir Walter Raleigh who spelled his name Ralegh.
About his time Good Queen Bess wrote ‘He made the wyndes blow to scatter mine enemies’
English only exist because eighteenth century Englishman mispronounced and misspelled most of their language.
Dinosaurs died out about sixty five million years ago, about the same time a big meteor hit the earth and lates down a layer of ash. Below that ash is the Cretaceous above the paleogene above. We used to call that the tertiary.
It’s called the KT boundary T for tertiary k for Cretaceous
K? Well it’s from German er ah Deutsch. Their geologist discovered the Cretaceous and spelled it with a k.
Of course we call them German because one of the tribes that invaded Roman Provence’s were the Cimbri. Latin used G and C the same or nearly so to get a K sound. ( why kelts in Greek became Gaul in Latin and Celt in English) So Cimbri was pronounced Kimbri but sometimes spelled Gimbri and that misspelling gave us a miss pronunciation of Germany
We wouldn’t have to go to far back in the brother Hawkens ancestors before the name changed.

Have to agree with the O.P. :ThankYou:

Mostly see new members spell Hawken incorrectly; but some long term members make the same mistake.

Am far from educated on English language rules but spell fairly well. This spelling misuse is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.
Some people worry about the smallest details. Suppose you're stuck in a foxhole with a buddy and he's out of ammo and you're too hurt to shoot. He asks you for a clip. Are you going to try to correct him by insisting he calls it a magazine? So you do and he hands you a copy of Muzzleloader magazine. What then huh?

I have to release some of my OCD this afternoon. It is a Hawken rifle. It is not a Hawkin, Hawkins, or Hawkens. I’m curious if the word Hawken is used the same as the word deer? There is a deer in my yard. There are ten deer in my yard. Saying “There are ten deers in my yard” is just wrong lol!!! Is it....I have four Hawken rifles or I have four Hawkens rifles? I’ve had way too much coffee!!!
Its OK Treeman, lots of us were toilet trained at gunpoint.....

Some people worry about the smallest details. Suppose you're stuck in a foxhole with a buddy and he's out of ammo and you're too hurt to shoot. He asks you for a clip. Are you going to try to correct him by insisting he calls it a magazine? So you do and he hands you a copy of Muzzleloader magazine. What then huh?
This isn't about a life or death battle going on, it's just a conversation amongst people interested in the same topic. Nothing wrong with anyone learning the correct way on any topic.

Well my dad calls his boots brogans. Groceries come in a brown or plastic poke. Maw is cookin up some vittles on the pot belly while all them youngins play with that tater gun. It’s gonna snow a**hole deep to a ten foot injun tonight. This is my hillbilly life!!

The word 'Bróga' is Irish for 'shoes'. Shíl mé gur mhaith leat é sin a fháil amach. ;)

Whether you spell it Hawken or Hawkin, at least so far no one has been so unkind as to tag a diminuative suffix to the name and made them Hawkies (singular Hawky) the way fans of Remies and Winies have done. It pains me to see grown men doing such.
Or the infamous 12 gauge “shoty”

Well my dad calls his boots brogans. Groceries come in a brown or plastic poke. Maw is cookin up some vittles on the pot belly while all them youngins play with that tater gun. It’s gonna snow a**hole deep to a ten foot injun tonight. This is my hillbilly life!!
All this about a misspelled name. I grew up thinking vittles was a hillbilly pronunciation of victuals as in Jethro in Beverly hillbillies. I was well in to my twenties pronouncing the c in the word
Took me a long time to learn to spell colonel. And as a good American I still can’t pronounce lieutenant

This isn't about a life or death battle going on, it's just a conversation amongst people interested in the same topic. Nothing wrong with anyone learning the correct way on any topic.
You're right but I think people tend to make too big of a deal about such small things. We used to refer to semi-auto guns as automatics but today some on-line gamer kid is liable to correct you. But then, this is a fornum about muskets so not to speak about such atrocities anyway. I used to be married to such a gal in an earlier life.

Latest posts

Back