• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hawken peep sight help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I to at 73 my eyes have gone to the dogs & need sighting help. Where can i buy this type of Hawken style tang mount peep sights ? They are not available in Australia. Track of the Wolf sell a barrel mounted semi buckhorn peep sight but it is non adjustable. Cheers

The fact that your sight does not appear to have a detent ball to locate the sight vertically when it is raised says you are going to become very frustrated, it will move each time you fire it from the recoil as well as being a pain to initially line up. I would change it out for a TC hunter peep sight. No problems with springs, detents or anything else. Same POA every time.
Mark

Here are a couple of views of the TC hunter on a Lyman GPR. Low and secure. My favorite sight for my old eyes, and I have them on a number of rifles. Well worth tracking down your own.

BTW- For hunting I unscrew the aperture and use just the remaining ring for a "ghost ring" sight. Very quick and accurate, to the point that the apertures end up rattling around in a drawer and never quite find their way back to the rifles they came from.

i did something different on my main squeeze side lock. im your age also but for some reason my eyes are getting better with age. i took a nice open sight and silver soldered a washer to it to make it a peep ghost ring sight.it is the same as a peep only on the barrel and even look traditional even if its not. its on my mountain man side lock 50 i built for my self. i think the supplements i take have really worked to make my eyes improve instead of go bad. i have a soule sight on my 45/70 and really like it.
Hi there Bob. Great Flintlock shooters minds run a like, I took off my lyman's peep sight and braised a washer to a rear sight that I could raise on a step Notch. I don't know what the sight come off of, I have quite a variety of that kind of used stuff. Anyway it really works good as you can see through it and around it all the same time. I'm sure it's every bit as accurate as I am, or the rifle is.

Here are a couple of views of the TC hunter on a Lyman GPR. Low and secure. My favorite sight for my old eyes, and I have them on a number of rifles. Well worth tracking down your own.

BTW- For hunting I unscrew the aperture and use just the remaining ring for a "ghost ring" sight. Very quick and accurate, to the point that the apertures end up rattling around in a drawer and never quite find their way back to the rifles they came from.

I would love to buy some of these sights forseveral rifles i have but iam told they are no longer available. Quite happy to buy some s/h. Cheers BJ

TOW has a very similar tang site, but it does not have apertures. it is just a ghost ring. I am told you can tap the ghost ring for apertures though.

They can be used with a blade front sight or a bead site.

Yup. Blades across the board for me with ghost rings, other than a few TC's that still wear beads. I DO NOT center the bead on the target though. I just use the top of the bead like I use the top of a blade. The bead will completely cover a deer at 100 yards, and fuggedabout aiming at smaller parts of a deer at closer ranges. You don't even really see the ghost ring and there's none of the business of lining up a v-notch rear with the front. Just look through the ring, and if you can see the front blade, you're going to be hitting where the top of the blade is resting. Purty darned handy, both for old eyes and even for young eyes in low light.

Back