• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hawken, not Hawkin, not Hawkins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee Spence ole son, why do I want to write "Burma Shave" after that tome? :thumbsup:

With all the problems in this country and the world i joined this forum to enjoy learning and talking about [SKINNIN} RONNDY,s] and rifles. Im not here to be schooled in propper grammer. But that said theres no place a person can go without the grammar police calling you out. Even on here.

Geez,, 6 pages one one word. I wonder how many pages the word "fer" would get?

TraprMike said:
Geez,, 6 pages one one word. I wonder how many pages the word "fer" would get?

Geez, Mike, everybody knows it's fur not fer...or it could be fir... :hmm:

:blah: :stir:

Just think, if Robert Redford had of said:

"He settled for a .30, but damn, it was a genuine DICKERT and you couldn't go no better."

We would be debating whether it was spelled Dickert, Deckert, Deckard etc.

See, this is proof that TV really does turn our brains to "mush" :rotf:

Quick aside: was that robert REDford movie the one where he is specificaly asked to get a larger-bore Hawken and comes back with a .45 anyway as that was the only Hawken they had, or something like that!?

He wanted a 50 so he could get his supplies at Walmart like most of us do :rotf:

Here's some more of the quote from the movie -

"He was a young man and ghosty stories about the tall hills didn't scare him none.

He was looking for a Hawken gun, .50 caliber or better.

He settled for a .30, but damn, it was a genuine Hawken, and you couldn't go no better."

From that quote T/C and Traditions made sure "everyone" got their 50 cal Hawken :grin:

Fwiw, a 30 bore is about .52 caliber, so that particular "confusion" isn't likely.
(I've wondered more than a few times if Hawken ever made .30 caliber plains rifles.)

One of the curators at HAM told me in 1979 (We were on our "several times delayed" wedding trip.) that he believed that most southerners, who went to the Mountain West as "free trappers", probably took southern-style flintlock squirrel rifles, as that was what they HAD.
(Obviously "company men" carried whatever weapons that their employer issued or required.)

yours, satx

A 30 bore was about avrage size for later hawkens. If the writes had read this and other resech that would have mentioned .50 calabur they may well have been confused in to thinking the 30 was smaller then the 50. I know Hawkens did make some small bore guns. I don't remmber for sure at this point in time but I think the NRA meseum at Bass pro in Springfield mo has .35 or .38 calibure hawken. Its very cute all Hawken to ook at but slim, effeminate. A friend called it a hawken in drag :haha:
Hakens father had been making southren style rifles before the boys learned how. Maybe the first Hawken to see the shinning mountians was dads.

tenngun said:
I think it was a .30 in the movie, I also think the writers confused caliber with bore.
James Mitchner, in the book "Centennial", makes the same mistake.

Rod

Rod L said:
tenngun said:
I think it was a .30 in the movie, I also think the writers confused caliber with bore.

Rod
Yeah. Pasquinel's Hawken was claimed to be 30 cal by Michener. I wonder if the movie copied his mistake.

Gerard Dueck said:
Rod L said:
tenngun said:

Rod
Yeah. Pasquinel's Hawken was claimed to be 30 cal by Michener. I wonder if the movie copied his mistake.
Let's not forget...

fiction (noun)
Literature in the form of prose, esp. short stories and novels, that describes imaginary events and people. Invention or fabrication as opposed to fact.

Just sayin’ :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back