• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hawken kit, help with identification?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barrel may have started as much longer and was cut down, losing the maker's mark in the cut off. Barrels are usually shortened from the muzzle end, but if not threaded right for the TC breech plug could have been chopped there as it would be rethreaded anyway...
The "R" may indicate runout, with the R indicating the bottom flat. That would need to be verified, as SDSmlf has emphasized it would significantly affect getting sights aligned to the bore.
Yeah, I'm not sure I'll ever know exactly what it was.

The PO said the kits were purchased in the mid 80s in original boxes(one was built, the other is this one) with these barrels. He said the R denotes the right side.

Truthfully I have no idea haha.

The breech plug is already fitted with a vent, so that will determine the bottom flat. Is there a witness mark on the breech plug and the barrel?

Latest posts

Back