• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken kit, help with identification?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I recently grabbed this kit which was sold as a T/C Hawken kit. However, upon inspection, I not really sure what it is.

First, it has no markings aside from a single R on the barrel. Nothing in the barrel channel, nothing else on the barrel, nothing on the lock, etc.

I bought it as a semi-complete kit. Lock is installed, barrel is not. Bore is around .5", total barrel is just under 1" flat to flat. I can exact measurements later this evening.

I am leaning towards it being a CVA kit. It also has CVA accessories with it.

Photos:

Looks like TC stock with an older TC lock. How long is the barrel? Maybe it was defarbed? How are the sights attached?
Barrel is 28" without breach plug. I'll be honest, I'm not sure exactly how the sights attach currently. Here are some photos:

Also, my other question was in regards to value. I don't plan on selling it, but I would be curious if it's worth the $300 I paid for it depending on what it is.

Thanks!

Barrel is 28" without breech plug. I'll be honest, I'm not sure exactly how the sights attach currently. Here are some photos:

Also, my other question was in regards to value. I don't plan on selling it, but I would be curious if it's worth the $300 I paid for it depending on what it is.

Thanks!

Guess you mean without the tang. Breech plug should be installed. Rear sight should attach with two screws through the base. If the bore is good, $300 is good deal in today’s market. If it’s a TC barrel it’s likely a 1-48 twist. Easy enough to check. Any chance the barrel is stainless, or is it just in the white?

Guess you mean without the tang. Breech plug should be installed. Rear sight should attach with two screws through the base. If the bore is good, $300 is good deal in today’s market. If it’s a TC barrel it’s likely a 1-48 twist. Easy enough to check. Any chance the barrel is stainless, or is it just in the white?
Breech plug is not installed. Barrel is through and through, with internal threads on one side for the breech plug. Or atleast I assume. Like I mentioned in the post, this is like a 40% assembled kit currently.

I'll check the twist. Barrel is in the white.

Thanks!

Breech plug is not installed. Barrel is through and through, with internal threads on one side for the breech plug. Or atleast I assume. Like I mentioned in the post, this is like a 40% assembled kit currently.

I'll check the twist. Barrel is in the white.

Thanks!
It would be odd if it was a TC barrel without the breech plug installed, but possible. Do you have a photograph of the breech plug?

Lock and stock look like TC, but barrel may be a replacement. Hard to see from the photos, but there don't appear to be dovetail cut for front site, nor lug on the barrel for the wedge, and not drilled for rear site. Could be the PO damaged or lost the original.
Accessories could be just whatever was near the gun. You've got a holder for percussion caps, which wouldn't be needed at all...maybe it's all an assortment of stuff. Is the tang shaped right to fit the inlet?

I’m on the same page as @SDSmlf. Looks like a T/C stock & lock. No idea about the barrel. Seems like an aftermarket, but I’m no expert.

Lock and stock look like TC, but barrel may be a replacement. Hard to see from the photos, but there don't appear to be dovetail cut for front site, nor lug on the barrel for the wedge, and not drilled for rear site. Could be the PO damaged or lost the original.
Accessories could be just whatever was near the gun. You've got a holder for percussion caps, which wouldn't be needed at all...maybe it's all an assortment of stuff. Is the tang shaped right to fit the inlet?
Yeah, after actually looking into the accessories they're kinda just a bunch of random things.

Correct, the barrel is just bare with no holes or anything aside from the bore. Completely smooth otherwise. The tang fits snug but well.

Yeah, after actually looking into the accessories they're kinda just a bunch of random things.

Correct, the barrel is just bare with no holes or anything aside from the bore. Completely smooth otherwise. The tang fits snug but well.
If you are going to install the breech plug yourself, make sure any bore runout is in the vertical plane. Get it in the horizontal and you may run out of sight adjustment. Most current manufactured barrels don’t have a runout issue, but not knowing the manufacturer date of your barrel, it’s something to check and take into consideration.

I'd need to see the inside of the lock and the triggers removed from the stock.
T/C or Investarms/Lyman,, swinging towards T/C myself.
With an aftermarket breech to go with a Rice barrel.
"just under 1" flat to flat" = 15/16
It's interesting that the tang mortise hasn't been drilled for the tang screw(s)

Once the breech is installed, the barrel needs to be drilled and tapped for the rear sight and dovetails cut for the front sight and the barrel underlug
All that has to do with adding an aftermarket barrel to the kit.

For $300 you did fine, 👍

I'd need to see the inside of the lock and the triggers removed from the stock.
T/C or Investarms/Lyman,, swinging towards T/C myself.
With an aftermarket breech to go with a Rice barrel.
"just under 1" flat to flat" = 15/16
It's interesting that the tang mortise hasn't been drilled for the tang screw(s)

Once the breech is installed, the barrel needs to be drilled and tapped for the rear sight and dovetails cut for the front sight and the barrel underlug
All that has to do with adding an aftermarket barrel to the kit.

For $300 you did fine, 👍
Here are photos of the lock and triggers:

Thanks for all the info!

With the barrel in a more unfinished condition than the original, you could forego drilling and tapping for the rear site...cut a dovetail, or put it where you like for your vision, or go with a tang mounted peep. Good opportunity to personalize more than the factory kit.

Yup, @SDSmlf is right, that's T/C for sure.
Seem's you got a proper T/C Hawken gun there
And @BoomStick is right too,
The good thing about the upgraded addition of a blank Rice barrel, is you can add any sights you want, any where you want.
Or, the downside is that ya hafta add all that stuff to a blank barrel.
Many here would do much of that themselves and there are ton's of topics in the GunBuilders section of this forum that explain the methods and "how-too's" of all those jobs.
Go to that section and start flipping/reading the back pages,, it's an encyclopedia (with pic's) !

p.s. Value? Right now you could probably sell that breech plug (as it is) for $100 by itself, they've been out of stock every place for about a year now!

I reached out to Rice and Jason informed me that is not his mark and he does not think it is a Rice barrel. I am not sure what it is but it still seems like an overall good setup with an unfired barrel.

Barrel may have started as much longer and was cut down, losing the maker's mark in the cut off. Barrels are usually shortened from the muzzle end, but if not threaded right for the TC breech plug could have been chopped there as it would be rethreaded anyway...
The "R" may indicate runout, with the R indicating the bottom flat. That would need to be verified, as SDSmlf has emphasized it would significantly affect getting sights aligned to the bore.

Back