• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hawken from #11 nipple to musket caps...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there! I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to convert a T/C percussion Hawken from #11 to musket caps. (I have lots of musket caps.) Thanks!

Hey there! I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to convert a T/C percussion Hawken from #11 to musket caps. (I have lots of musket caps.) Thanks!
I’ve tried it but the rifle I used didn’t have great hammer/cone alignment and I didn’t want to bend the hammer or grind away the cup on the face of the hammer so I ultimately abandoned the project. I use Remington #11’s or CCI 11’s and they’ve worked really well for me .

Hello! I tried it years ago on a cva mountain rifle just for fun. Everything on my rifle was aligned enough I felt, but it didn’t seem to have a strong enough mainspring to reliably ignite the musket cap. Maybe two out of five times. Could be better on a different rifle. Have also ran a billion balls through that gun since I got it at ten years old and am 45 now and it was used when I bought it!🤣😂🤣

Do they not make a musket nipple for T/C Hawkens? I have one I used on my CVA St. Louis Hawken. I found the one below with a quick Google search. It is on Amazon, but I no nothing about it.

Attachments

• BEA1E242-44EE-45EA-8905-C87A06AA05A3.jpeg
    BEA1E242-44EE-45EA-8905-C87A06AA05A3.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 60322208-56FB-4101-AEC8-06E32E487EF4.jpeg
    60322208-56FB-4101-AEC8-06E32E487EF4.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 34

I don't have a T/C Hawken but I can shoot either Musket percussion caps or #11 percussion caps with my Pedersoli Hawken by just changing the nipple. It has 1/4-28 threads. You'll have to search for a musket nipple with the right threads but I assure you, they are out there. Check with Track of the Wolf, they have a huge selection of percussion nipples. I have had little to no trouble making either work. Like you, I have a whole mess of musket caps, a little over 600 but about the same number of #11's. Good luck.

I don't have a T/C Hawken but I can shoot either Musket percussion caps or #11 percussion caps with my Pedersoli Hawken by just changing the nipple. It has 1/4-28 threads. You'll have to search for a musket nipple with the right threads but I assure you, they are out there. Check with Track of the Wolf, they have a huge selection of percussion nipples. I have had little to no trouble making either work. Like you, I have a whole mess of musket caps, a little over 600 but about the same number of #11's. Good luck.
Thank you so much for this information all!

A fellow shooter epoxied a steel Ball in the percussion hammer recess. It hits the musket cap hard and works without being perfectly centered. Might work for someone else

Thanks for that. I fitted an after-market 20 gauge smooth barrel to my Hawken and got everything but the hammer alinement perfect. I does work fine with #11 caps but I want to try it with a musket nipple and musket caps and was worried they might not work due to the slight miss-alinement.

I put musket nipples on my .50 GPR and .45 Hawken. The Hawken lined up fine, but I had to bend the hammer on my GPR. I kinda buggered the hammer a little in bending process, but a little filing and cold blue got it back to looking fine. Getting the steel hot enough was my problem. It's hard to do with just a propane torch.

Other than that, the caps work fine and well. I put flash cups on both because backblast through the heavier caps were toasting my fingers.

Good luck.

RM

Do they not make a musket nipple for T/C Hawkens? I have one I used on my CVA St. Louis Hawken. I found the one below with a quick Google search. It is on Amazon, but I no nothing about it.
I have a couple I picked up somewhere. As I noted, my hammer didn’t line up well with the musket nipple so I let the project lapse rather than take a torch to a gun that was otherwise just fine.

Note: If the hammer is not hitting the musket nipple correctly, it is also not hitting the #11 correctly either. What that means is it is just adequate enough to fire the #11 nipple not perfectly and may be a problem with some caps.

Bending the hammer to fit the musket nipple also fixes it for the #11 nipple.

Back