• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hawken Classic

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all! The rifle will be there next year for you to shoot. Thanks for the generous donations to help the event in future years. Be sure to visit thehawkenshop.com.
Thanks for bringing that rifle Greg! Would you mind posting a bit of info about it and maybe a picture or two of it?
I would also like pictures and some more information on that original. I regret not being able to see it "in person"!

Notchy Bob

This is the best I can provide.

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

RM

My bride and I thoroughly enjoyed the Hawken Classic last weekend in Missouri. Between us, I have 2 hours 40 minutes of video on 2 separate cameras to sort thru to make a video of the event. I've never had THAT much footage on any previous project before! I'm trying to get everyone possible on the video I can and keep it under 20 minutes in length.
I'll have it ready to post on Sunday next week. Thanks to the NMLRA and the Gemmer organizers/volunteers at this event for all the fun.
I at least have the video thumb nail ready to go...LOL

mqdefault.jpg

Here are a few pics of mine, I know the blankets are not exactly period and as a matter of fact, I took steps to fix some of that situation while I was there. So, for you stitch counters...I am working on it. :thumb:😁

View attachment 137809

View attachment 137816

View attachment 137810

View attachment 137812

View attachment 137813

View attachment 137814

View attachment 137815

View attachment 137817

View attachment 137818

View attachment 137819

RM

Rodman! The Boone house reminds me of Reverend Fords house in Sandy Hook Mississippi. Remember the flood of biblical proportions we experienced there April a yesr ago??? :D

der Einsiedler

My mentor, from back in ancient times, was an old time gun collector. Began collecting in the 30’s. He had two original Hawken pieces. One was a fullstock J&S Hawken rifle. Approx. .54 calibre best I remember. And it had that same triggerguard with that unique spur. And as best as I remember it was brass. He picked up the rifle sometime in the 1950’s. I thought he sold that rifle to the old time collector of some note, Victor Frederick of Austin Tx. ( now we could talk all day about Mr. Frederick and his collection).
The other Hawken piece that Don had was a family heirloom. A J&S marked pistol. Very unique as it was only like .38 calibre. And it had the old saw type handle. General consensus on the pistol was that it may have not actually been a Hawken built piece, but perhaps an import from either back east or across the pond that they ended up marking.
Don (Morgan was his surname) was a Clark descendant with family in both Tennessee and Missouri. I remember getting to handle both guns while they were still in his possession. I believe the pistol is still in the family.
Another note on that rifle. Back in the day that rifle was disassembled and several of the local shooters made casting of the furniture. Occasionally one of their old rifles would show up around. Last one I saw came into the shop I was working at about 10 years ago. Owners daughter brought it in. It was a good example of repurposed parts that was common in the 1960’s. Had an original old barrel, that had been recut and marked by Judge H E Resley of Ft. Stockton Tx. Had and original H. E. Leman perc. lock. New maple fullstock, And one of those Hawken spurred triggerguards!
When I asked the lady her fathers name, I did remember him from my youth and was able to share some stories. I was a junior member of the old Austin Tx. Powderhorn Club then. Would have been 1971-72.

I never knew Daniel Boone had a walk-out basement! Now that's pretty fancy for the 1820's. In another pic it looks like a "picnic" table in an HC camp site. What's up there? You can't see it all so I could be mistaken. Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing.

I never knew Daniel Boone had a walk-out basement! Now that's pretty fancy for the 1820's. In another pic it looks like a "picnic" table in an HC camp site. What's up there? You can't see it all so I could be mistaken. Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing.

Initially, there was an area for just vendors and HC campers. The rain and muddy ground required that everyone get more or less consolidated together. Andy52 was going to have the table over with the rest of the vendors, but the rain was so sporadic that lots of people just sold there wares near their camp. That way, when it did rain, they could cover them or pull them in as quickly as possible. The table was for laying out @andy52's leather and trade goods. Once the camp was closed down to the public, we would clear off the table and put his goods up. Normally, I can assure you it would not be out.

Respectfully,

RM

I was supposed to do a demo on making buckskin pants at my camp on Friday and Saturday, thus the reason for the picnic table. It would have been handy for laying out the leather and sewing so people could see the process. I bought it just for that purpose. With the constant off-and-on rain I never got the opportunity to do the demo. So I still have a pair of unassembled pats in my shop... :)

Originally the organizers were going to provide me with a plastic folding table but I figured the wood and steel picnic table wouldn't be so tacky.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back