• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anvil1231

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is one I forged from 5160. O.A.L is 8 3/16" blade width is 2 1/4". Handle is maple that has been fire blackened and sanded lightly. anvil
IMG_1120.jpg

Very nice work as I've seen from you a few times before.

As for the spike, is there a utilitarian purpose for it, or is it only for sticking into people?

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

That is open to conjecture. The spike on early tomahawks is often shaped like the one above, and could be used to stick someone or to hook and lift items. As time went on the spikes became more curved and some are almost complete curls which pretty much make them useless except as an ornament. Harold Peterson discusses this some in his book "American Indian Tomahawks."
There is also a new book on tomahawks, but I can't remember the authors right off, that also discusses the uses of spikes on tomahawks.
I do recall a period reference to a fight in Kentucky (or maybe Western Penn) in the 18th century where an indian was stuck in the back with the spike end of a tomahawk.

Regards, Dave

Pretty much as Dave said. The spikes in the beginning were to used as a weapon,but evolved to be mostly decorative. anvil

dvlmstr said:
That is open to conjecture. The spike on early tomahawks is often shaped like the one above, and could be used to stick someone or to hook and lift items. As time went on the spikes became more curved and some are almost complete curls which pretty much make them useless except as an ornament.

I wouldn't say useless, it would still work as a counter-balance weight or a bludgeoning devise...

Brasilikilt said:
As for the spike, is there a utilitarian purpose for it, or is it only for sticking into people?

It's my understanding that, depending on the curvature, the spike was originally designed to penetrate armor or as a "boarding hook" during navel engagements.

But, as some have suggested, the Natives took a fancy to it and it became popular as a style.

Claude Mathis said:
Brasilikilt said:

It's my understanding that, depending on the curvature, the spike was originally designed to penetrate armor or as a "boarding hook" during navel engagements.

But, as some have suggested, the Natives took a fancy to it and it became popular as a style.

Yeah ... well unless ya tripped and fell on it! :hmm: That would defintely leave a bruise, and take all the fun right outta it! :redface:

davy

Claude said:

In my opinion, the double pointed weapon is a faster weapon to bring into battle, you can kill with it on the back swing as well as the forward cut, this saves time when you don't have to bring the blade about to face your opponent...

Musketman said:
Claude said:

In my opinion, the double pointed weapon is a faster weapon to bring into battle, you can kill with it on the back swing as well as the forward cut, this saves time when you don't have to bring the blade about to face your opponent...

And, when you throw it, it'll stick with a full-turn or a turn and a half! :grin:

Back