• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hawk Throw!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
:) Here's one of them ideas I was talkin' about.

We're gonna try a tomahawk throwing contest for something different.
It's gettin' cold outside and dark is early. Musketman and I figgered a good old fashioned hawk throwin' contest might be a good idea. Only takes a minute to step out in the back yard and chuck yer tomahawk. Heck, if ya ain't married, ya might not even hafta go outside... :haha:

If you think you want to give it a go, here's the rules;

The target will be a regular sheet of typing/printer paper with an X drawn thru the center from corner to corner.

The distance of the throw will be a minimum of 12 feet from the target.

One throw. The tomahawk blade must "stick" in the target.

Tomahawks only! No knives, belt axes, etc.

Targets submitted with more than one cut will be disqualified.

Targets ripped or torn beyond recognition will be disqualified.

All targets must have the members screen name printed on them (so we know who the winner is).

The contest ends December 31st. All entries must be postmarked by January 2, 2009 and received by January 10, 2009 to be eligible.

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Mail entries to;
Jim Green
P.O. Box 22
Pekin, IL 61555-0022

Judging will consist of measuring the tomahawk's cut from end to end, divide by half to find the center of the cut, then measure that spot to the center of the X on the target, that number will determine the winner.Like this;
tomahawkscoring.jpg

I got the P.O. box 'cause it'll be a little more "official" havin' the same guy score all the targets the same way with the same measuring device.
Since I'm doing all the measurin', I guess I'll be not eligible to compete.
Since I'm not a moderator, moderators are welcome to compete. (Just don't expect any special treatment.) Heck, I ain't prejudiced, even Administrators(Claude) can play. :haha:

Have fun! Be safe! And let me know what you think. Should we try and do some more different kinds of stuff?
Have at it! :hatsoff:

except for wastin a stamp & envelope mailin you a perfectly good piece of paper...that's a great idea! :rotf:....but i may get bored.....could spend a bunch of time lookin thru the snow fer my hawk...again :rotf: sounds like fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
You gonna be lookin' for it AFTER you throw it? Or where you left it before it snowed? :haha:
Or both? :rotf:

jethro224 said:
Since I'm not a moderator, moderators are welcome to compete.

Since I helped develope this contest, I too will not compete.

I have a hard enough time shaving let alone throwing a sharp tomahawk, perhaps we should have included in the rules that blood soaken targets will be also rejected. :rotf:

I've been needing an excuse to get another hawk block ( my block of 8 years fell apart last year )
So here it tis!!!!
It sounds like a goodern fer sure!

:thumbsup:

:shake: I don't understand why the restriction on a blood soaked target----motor oil is motor oil and target is a target :confused: :rotf:

Pasquenel said:
:shake: I don't understand why the restriction on a blood soaked target----motor oil is motor oil and target is a target :confused: :rotf:

Well, I could use some more DNA samples... :rotf:

Musketman said:
Pasquenel said:

Well, I could use some more DNA samples... :rotf:

All bloody targets will be rejected and forwarded to Musketman for his DNA sample collection. :youcrazy: :haha:

Well this one is out of my league, :surrender: but at least I can monitor the comments and heckle the participants. :grin: Heck, I wouldn't know which end to grab a'hold of, much less how to chuck it so it would stick. Guess that is something I'll have to give a try sometime, as soon as I get a hawk - :confused: don't even have one, much less a log to stick it into. Best of luck to all participating. :hatsoff:

See ya, Jim/OH :thumbsup:

Is that one throw or one stick? If its one throw then I might as well give up now. It takes me a half dozen warm ups before I even hit the block. Getting it to stick in the block is gonna take even longer. Then there's the problem of hitting the paper.

You know, I can stick it pretty well 100% of the time, till you tack up a target. :redface:

I don't consider myself very good, but I'm averaging six hits on a playing card out of every ten throws at seven paces. You should see what some of these guys do at some of the National Rendezvous!

Bakeoven Bill said:

Is that one throw or one stick? If its one throw then I might as well give up now. It takes me a half dozen warm ups before I even hit the block. Getting it to stick in the block is gonna take even longer. Then there's the problem of hitting the paper.

OK Bill, How about... The hawk must stick in the target to count as a throw? One stick.
You only get to enter one throw.

That's what I like about these contests, a little whining goes a long way.

Latest posts

Back