• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hawk Sheath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looked all over to find a sheath for my TOTW Iroquois Tomahawk, to no avail. Mostly found some for Cold Steel hawks. I decided to try and make one as I never made anything in leather before. Though not historically correct (evidently the Native Americans didn't have solid brass snap closures lol). I really enjoyed making it and learning some things about leathercrafting. There might be a belt in my future.
Tomahawk Sheath.jpg

Looked all over to find a sheath for my TOTW Iroquois Tomahawk, to no avail. Mostly found some for Cold Steel hawks. I decided to try and make one as I never made anything in leather before. Though not historically correct (evidently the Native Americans didn't have solid brass snap closures lol). I really enjoyed making it and learning some things about leathercrafting. There might be a belt in my future.View attachment 117583
Hey Flashpoint,
For a belt holder just make a simple loop of leather with a belt sheath attached. Mostly like what you would see on a carpenters belt for his hammer. Your sheath for the thawk looks fine. For person no rivets or snaps. Stitched with sinew, and just a touch and sleeve to close it. But we all have to start somewhere.

@Brokennock the issue with the post might be the style. Letting a new poster know there is a better forum for the post is useful. A post that might come off as sniping isn't as much. On the flipside, stick around you've got some useful posts that I've read.
To the OP, nice first work on leather. Looks better than my weak attempts. Keep that up and you'll start trying to make copies of historic pieces in short order!

Hey Flashpoint,
For a belt holder just make a simple loop of leather with a belt sheath attached. Mostly like what you would see on a carpenters belt for his hammer. Your sheath for the thawk looks fine. For person no rivets or snaps. Stitched with sinew, and just a touch and sleeve to close it. But we all have to start somewhere.
Thanks Flatcapper. That's a great idea. I might start working on one tonight. :thumb:

@Brokennock the issue with the post might be the style. Letting a new poster know there is a better forum for the post is useful. A post that might come off as sniping isn't as much. On the flipside, stick around you've got some useful posts that I've read.
To the OP, nice first work on leather. Looks better than my weak attempts. Keep that up and you'll start trying to make copies of historic pieces in short order!
THanks for the encouragement.

not historically correct
Yep. But keep in mind, getting wounds that might have proven fatal in the day were historically correct. Avoiding such wounds is correct for our day. Trying to be 'correct' before common sense I acquired a small scar on my lower back. Always used a hawk sheath after that.

Yep. But keep in mind, getting wounds that might have proven fatal in the day were historically correct. Avoiding such wounds is correct for our day. Trying to be 'correct' before common sense I acquired a small scar on my lower back. Always used a hawk sheath after that.

For some of us (me included) wounds gathered in our youth was “historically correct” if not “politically correct” for the time period. I hope I have learned a little pain avoidance over the past 6 decades.

Back