• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hawk n Rifle, February 2017

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
It was recently mentioned that maybe a little hawk throwin' might be in order. :)

This month will be a combination target for both Hawk and Rifle.

The target is a standard 8.5" x 11" sheet of printer paper with an X drawn thru the center. You will throw your hawk at the center X until you get a "stick". The hawk must make at least one complete revolution before hitting the target and must stick in the block. The first stick in the target counts.
If your target is torn before the hawk sticks, replace it with a new target. Once you get a stick STOP throwing! The hawk target will be measured from the top of the cut to the center of the target.

After you have successfully stuck your hawk in the target, you will then post the same target at a distance of 25 yards and fire 4 shots at it with your rifle. (pistols or smootbores are allowed if you would rather use one of those) Each shot should be aimed at a different corner of the target. One shot at each corner.
Fire ONLY 4 shots! Misses count!
Each shot will be measured from the center of the ball to the corner of the target. (Don't tear the corners off with the staples :wink: )

There will be no points deducted for losing your hawk under the snow and no points added for finding it. :haha:

One target entry per member.

4 shots and one stick per target, hit or miss.

Mutilated targets and targets with more than 5 holes will be disqualified.

No do-overs.

Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzleloading firearms (NO Cannons). Percussion or flintlock, matchlock or wheel lock ignition.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots will be taken off-hand at the stated distance.(Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso)(In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle)

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scans, etc.

The center of the target will be determined by the judge.

Judges decisions are final.

Each contestant's score will be posted at the end of the contest.

Your member screen name must be written on your targets.

Mail your target postmarked by Feb. 28, 2017 to;

Jim Green
P.O.Box 322
Pekin, IL 61555

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Be safe and have fun! :hatsoff:

Sounds like it WAS about time to get you guys throwin' them hawks. They're gettin' rusty! :haha:

Distance will vary somewhat for each individual according to how tall they are, how long their arms are, how hard they throw, and how long their hawk handle is, and maybe some other stuff.
I'd recommend practicing a bit first to find your own personal distance. Usually somewhere around 12 feet. If the top of the hawk keeps hitting the block, step a little closer. If the handle is hitting the block move back a little.
Have fun. :hatsoff:

Normally I take seven normal steps. I'm 6'1" & Fat with long arms & legs and walk with a limp while leaning forward about 20*. :thumbsup: That distance works best with my full wind up delivery. If I'm throwing from the stretch position I'm a little closer. :rotf:

I think it is definitely a personal choice. However at a Rendezvous like Friendship there maybe a minimum distance. :idunno:

However at a Rendezvous like Friendship there maybe a minimum distance.

Friendship ain't a rendezvous. And, yes, there is a minimum distance at Friendship.

Also some rendezvous have a minimum distance. Some have whatever distance you want. Some have a set distance. Most all have the one rotation rule.

Tallswife said:
Guess I need to learn how to throw a hawk right quick

Yep. You need to throw it right.
It don't hafta be quick tho. You can throw it as slow as ya want to. :haha:

In 4H we start the kids at 6 steps. Normally if you take a step as you through it is 6-6.5 steps if you stand still and throw it is 5-5.5 steps.

If you are not hitting the target walk up to the target arms length away and stick the hawk into the bulls eye - do this 5 times - step away the 6 steps and throw again. Practicing at arms length gives you muscle memory.

Also find a nice slab of soft wood. Nothing more discouraging then throwing at a piece of wood and not having it stick.

Well, I was able to throw my hawk inside the barn. 4' of snow between me and the backstop is proving to be a problem for shooting though. And it's too soft for snowshoes with my "winter profile".
I'll have to wait a bit to get off my shots.
Baking one more cheesecake while I wait it out cant hurt my chances of getting down there any faster. I think. :hmm:

Got the hawk thrown and stuck yesterday afternoon. Took about 15 throws to loosen the arm and shoulder; put the target up and, YES! On Paper! Now I have to get to the range before the end of the month. This home Improvement project is killing the free time. I'll Larry the Cable Guy it though.

Got it done. Respectable target, but not my best. The snow has me out of practice. No...my shoulder. No, ....my eye is swollen again... :bull:
Target in the mail.

How do we start a campaign to get participation up to 30 or 40? :confused: These shoots are the high point of the month for me.
Can we put out a call to all under general muzzleloading or fish for new guys under welcome to the camp?

How do we start a campaign to get participation up to 30 or 40?

Challenge your forum friends.?

It's been a while since we had a partner shoot and I've been thinking that it's time. If all of the regulars recruited partners who don't ever join in the contests then we'd have double the shooters.

I don't know why more members don't join in the contests but I do know some of the reasons some don't.

Some just don't shoot, they just like to talk about guns. I say they should get off their butts and shoot. It's fun!

Some don't think they shoot well enough and might embarrass themselves with a low score. I say who cares if you come in last place? It's all just for fun anyway. And you still beat all the members who didn't shoot!

Some just don't like competition. Why not? :idunno:

Back