• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Having GPR .50 cal reworked by Bobby Hoyt!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just talked to Bobby today about sending him a 15/16" barrel to rebore for me. FWIW, he told me the largest he could take it is .54. I'll have to pack it up when I get back from a trip next week.

I just talked to Bobby today about sending him a 15/16" barrel to rebore for me. FWIW, he told me the largest he could take it is .54. I'll have to pack it up when I get back from a trip next week.
I think that is correct for a "rifled" barrel but for smooth he has a bit more room to work with. IMHO

I am sending off my barrel from a GPR .50 cal Flinter to Bobby Hoyt. I am having it cut to 26in and made Smooth, either .62 or .58 what ever the barrel can handle . It is 15/16 so it could go definitely .58, the .62/20 gauge. I'll leave that up to Bobby hoyt to decide.
Why? Just curious

Why? Just curious
Because I want to have something lighter, handier. The orig. straight 15/16 32 in. weighs a lot! By shortening the barrel I will move the balance point back a bit too, making it easier to carry and use. Having it made smooth is just to see how a shorter smooth bore will work etc. More like a "canoe" gun" or Chiefs Tulle.I have a 44 in .62 Fowler already so something shorter is in order. I think since my shooting is 75yds or less always, and usually closer to 50 or less, the smooth will have little to no detriment on my shooting, emphasis on "my" shooting ,LOL! and they are easier to load, clean and maintain, and are versatile in what you can feed them. IMHO. Lastly, it will give me something different than what we typically see. :ThankYou:

Because I want to have something lighter, handier. The orig. straight 15/16 32 in. weighs a lot! By shortening the barrel I will move the balance point back a bit too, making it easier to carry and use. Having it made smooth is just to see how a shorter smooth bore will work etc. More like a "canoe" gun" or Chiefs Tulle.I have a 44 in .62 Fowler already so something shorter is in order. I think since my shooting is 75yds or less always, and usually closer to 50 or less, the smooth will have little to no detriment on my shooting, emphasis on "my" shooting ,LOL! and they are easier to load, clean and maintain, and are versatile in what you can feed them. IMHO. Lastly, it will give me something different than what we typically see. :ThankYou:
I see. Makes sense. Post some photos when it's complete.
James

I sent Bobby a 50 pedersoli flint barrel this past spring he bored
54 smooth and really like it great fun to squirrel hunt with

Hmmmm my barrels rib is not screwed on its an older GPR I would love to have a 62 cal smoothbore. Montgomery was your rib screwed on? I am excited to hear if he can do a 62

Hmmmm my barrels rib is not screwed on its an older GPR I would love to have a 62 cal smoothbore. Montgomery was your rib screwed on? I am excited to hear if he can do a 62
Yes, my rib is screwed on and I sent it that way. I asked to have the rib cut and drilled to match the new barrel length. I have an orig Lyman/Investarms GPR capper from 1999 and the rib is screwed on I have never heard of a GPR that did not have the rib screwed on? What year is yours?

I had Mr Hoyt make a 54 barrel for me top and rebore my sons GPR from 50 to 54 both gain twist
DSC03415.JPG
first shot clean barrel high then 3 touching then sight moved hit aim pt
DSC03411.JPG
DSC02958.JPG

Last edited:
Back