• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Have you seen this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a nicely built rifle. No doubt about that.

For a true reproduction of a plains rifle from the mid 1800's, it has a couple of faults, if anyone cares.

By the mid 1800's, the pointed tail lock plate had given way to a shorter, rounded shape. Also, I don't know of a true plains rifle that had a buckhorn rear sight. They were a later development.

No, I have not seen that rifle in person. I haven't watched the video all the way to its end yet. Do we know who made the rifle, who owns it, and where it is?

That rifle is certainly very well constructed. The wood-to-metal fit, the engraving, and the finish on wood and metal is beautiful. I agree with Zonie, though... The Siler lock is out of place. Also, that little reverse curl on the front trigger is way over-used today. I've never seen a trigger like that on a mid-century original halfstock rifle. It's also a little unusual to see a half-stocked rifle of that stated time period and quality, with those fancy engraved silver escutcheons, using pins rather than keys for securing the barrel in the stock.

The narrative indicated everything on the original rifles, including locks and barrels, was hand-forged and fitted by the gunsmith. I think by the stated time (1847), factory-made locks and barrel blanks were becoming increasingly available. Many gunsmiths still reamed, rifled, and finished their barrels, but not every shop was forging their own.

I hate to be a curmudgeon. The video was great, and I appreciate the link. My comments are admittedly nit-picking. In these days of black plastic Lego rifles and snap-together parts, I think it's great to showcase the talents of our muzzle-loading craftsmen in a venue that can be seen by the general public. Firearms can be fine art. The detail shots in the video really do allow one to appreciate the workmanship that went into that rifle. With top-quality components like the Siler lock and Douglas barrel, I'll bet it's a shooter, too!

Thanks for sharing!

Notchy Bob

The John Dunbar Theme from Dances with Wolves. An incredibly beautiful and moving piece of music, to be sure.

Back