• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Have you defarbed your percussion revolver?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Do people remove all the markings from their vehicles, i.e., GMC on the front grill and tailgate? Would make as much sense as defarbing."

Back in the 1950's and 60's that was one of the first thing hod rodders did to their vehicles. Removed them, filled the holes and blended it all out. Guilty of that myself. It was our way of changing the appearance of something to conform with our own sense of esthetics. I feel defarbing of guns is just another way of changing the appearance of something we own to look the way we want it. I think the majority of people defarbing/ageing guns are not doing it to claim the gun is actually older than it is, but simply revising the finish to look the way they want it. Are some people going to do it for misrepresentation? these people are in the minority and more than likely not forum members. If people are going to be upset because I put a 327 with 3 dueces and a cam in it under the hood of my externally stock 29 tudor and accuse me of misrepresenting the genre of antique vehicles, that's too bad. THERE ARE ALWAYS people that are going to find something wrong with whatever it is we do and always have good solid reasons for telling us that we shouldn't be doing that. I'm building a precision muzzle loader for long range shooting, chassis type stock, high power scope, extra long barrel false muzzle etc. There are people who will tell me that's wrong, not in the spirit of black powder shooting etc. Think I care? No because this is my way of expressing myself. That's all revising the appearance/defarbing of a gun really amounts to, expressing our desire to have something we own meet our personal requirements of appearances.

Remember, Ricky Nelson said it best. "You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself."

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave my Uberti 1858 a nice patina and antiqued the grips:

1C2FBD3A-7381-4FDB-BC31-3C563627607A.jpeg

And on the recent Pietta 1860 I bought I didn’t like the looks of the shiny and reflective “oil slick” dark case hardening on the frame, so stripped only the frame and refinished with some cold blue to mimic more traditional case hardening:

64570023-8FC2-4A10-88DE-7B4B173C09F4.jpeg

I recently did a defarb of a defarb on my Spiller and Burr originally from Lodgewood. It was artificially aged but didn’t look right to me.

Besides, the opening for cap removal/addition was TOO small. I didn’t know why this was made like that when originals are 3 time the size. I reblued w/some brown added the metal and have some streaks to simulate the “twist” in the iron used for cylinders.

Regards,
James
Neat gun, I have a Pietta Spiller & Burr kit that I attempted and gave up on, I ended up using it to shoot 6 blanks on July 4th about 15 years ago.....just using it rough and half finished, forgot to clean it for about 5 years and it's a display gun now. Could probably bring it back if I soaked it in Kroil

A few more range trips using my flap holster to carry my Uberti Dragoon to the range and it will have some "holster wear aging " Uberti and Pietta use a fairly thin bluing it seems like .

A few more range trips using my flap holster to carry my Uberti Dragoon to the range and it will have some "holster wear aging " Uberti and Pietta use a fairly thin bluing it seems like .
One of the things I find curious is that often an artificially aged gun will have the bolt track removed from the cylinder because they think it means the revolver is out of time, which it isn't. It's out of time when the bolt does not lift soon enough and the hand is trying to turn the cylinder before the bolt nose is clear of the notch. Actually I maintain a properly dressed bolt nose that drops a bit early and rubs on the cylinder is a benefit in that it aids in slowing down cylinder inertia before the bolt drops in the notch and slams against the back wall of it.

One of the things I find curious is that often an artificially aged gun will have the bolt track removed from the cylinder because they think it means the revolver is out of time, which it isn't. It's out of time when the bolt does not lift soon enough and the hand is trying to turn the cylinder before the bolt nose is clear of the notch. Actually I maintain a properly dressed bolt nose that drops a bit early and rubs on the cylinder is a benefit in that it aids in slowing down cylinder inertia before the bolt drops in the notch and slams against the back wall of it.
All of my new 2020-2021 dated Piettas are timed to drop the bolt early. I have 4 identical .36 Brassers that drop the bolt before the leade of the bolt stop.

I guess Pietta assumes people are going to crank back on the hammer with every ounce of their strength or will be fanning them. I know CAS shooters will have their guns "short stroked" because of the aggressive thumb cocking those guns will see.

I too really enjoy the look of a nice patina on C&B revolvers and flintlock rifles. I find the mellowing and aging of metal and wood very attractive from an aesthetic point of view. Ditto for 'old' gun leather, ie properly aged and broken in. As with anything the better the work, the more pleasing the final result. In no way do I equate age patina with 'beat up and abused' and I take no truck with those who prefer to keep their arms shiny and new.

1p1DZXKh.jpg

I try to keep anything I have in the best condition possible, but if genuine wear sets in, then I just accept it for what it is. My "unmentionable" daily carries, for instance, have wear in the finish from the holsters. I can't do anything about that, but I can at least take some pride in the fact that they reflect proper, regular use.

For anything that doesn't actually see holster time or regular carry in harsh conditions, my guns stay in the best shape I can keep them.

With all of that being said, our guns are personal to each of us--just like anything else we keep for a hobby. Some of that personal nature carries over into aesthetics. If someone puts time into defarbing a pistol or rifle to give it the aesthetic he wants, then more power to him. In the end, he can look at the work he's done and be proud of the results he's achieved. If someone puts work into preserving or restoring factory finish because he likes that look, then more power to him, and my genuine congratulations for the care he's shown that weapon.

I don't much go for weird blueish-greenish finishes some like on their wood furniture, but if that's what floats someone's boat, then so be it. It's his gun--not mine, and he's the one who spent the money and time to make it like that. In the end, the only thing that matters is what we think of our own guns when we look at them.

Modern replica guns are much different from originals, No serious collector would ever be fooled.

True, no SERIOUS collector, one who has much money invested in textbooks and historical documentation, would be fooled, but I'm not sure about the 'ever'. OTOH, I've been here quite a few years now, and there have been many many posts where ordinary Joes like me have been led to believe that what they were looking at was the real deal, when it was anything but.

Speaking as an interested observer (I don't own any defarbed guns) I am always puzzled why so much finish is often removed. My LeMat looks newer than a lot of the defarbed reproductions I have seen.View attachment 104696

A common mistake is removing all of the finish. An old gun almost always has remaining original finish in recessed areas. Holster wear and normal handling removes finish from the high areas only.

If so, then please describe your process and share any photos of your work and/or final result..
A common mistake is removing all of the finish. An old gun almost always has remaining original finish in recessed areas. Holster wear and normal handling removes finish from the high areas only.
I try to keep anything I have in the best condition possible, but if genuine wear sets in, then I just accept it for what it is. My "unmentionable" daily carries, for instance, have wear in the finish from the holsters. I can't do anything about that, but I can at least take some pride in the fact that they reflect proper, regular use.

For anything that doesn't actually see holster time or regular carry in harsh conditions, my guns stay in the best shape I can keep them.

With all of that being said, our guns are personal to each of us--just like anything else we keep for a hobby. Some of that personal nature carries over into aesthetics. If someone puts time into defarbing a pistol or rifle to give it the aesthetic he wants, then more power to him. In the end, he can look at the work he's done and be proud of the results he's achieved. If someone puts work into preserving or restoring factory finish because he likes that look, then more power to him, and my genuine congratulations for the care he's shown that weapon.

I don't much go for weird blueish-greenish finishes some like on their wood furniture, but if that's what floats someone's boat, then so be it. It's his gun--not mine, and he's the one who spent the money and time to make it like that. In the end, the only thing that matters is what we think of our own guns when we look at them.
I agree with your view but what I don't care for is when some one does the defarb thing and then tries to convince me that I like it too. They will often go so far as to scratching and dinging up the steel along the cylinder/reciever, barrel or back/bottom of grip to be more convincing which to me shows up like a sore thumb because real scratches and dings will be random and have no pattern or consistency to them at all. I one time had a very good friend show me his defarbed rifle he paid to have done by a mutual friend of ours. They both thought I should really appreciate this effort so rather than puke I said nothing at all and changed the subject . It was my finest hour at preserving two friendships as I usually will say what I really think once I've made up my mind😄 ! I'm exaggerating again but not by much !
Course my rather abrupt change of subject after a brief pause probably screamed what I was really thinking ! They sure did not need to tell me it had been "DEFARBED" ! I was tempted to asked (in a smart Alick tone) if they had tied it to their truck bumber and dragged it down the road a bit to get the defarbed look .

Speaking as an interested observer (I don't own any defarbed guns) I am always puzzled why so much finish is often removed. My LeMat looks newer than a lot of the defarbed reproductions I have seen.View attachment 104696
I’ve noticed often European antique handguns are in much better condition than American guns of the same vintage. Not sure what that means but it’s an observation.

I’ve noticed often European antique handguns are in much better condition than American guns of the same vintage. Not sure what that means but it’s an observation.
American guns of the same vintage probably saw more use in range wars and regular hunting to feed the family...

Did you ever see any stories involving so much gun play in Europe as there was on the Frontier in the U.S. during the 19th Century?

guys that dont like the print on the barrels would be the first to sue if injured by the gun. black powder only means dont use smokeless. also the makers name and made in Italy is advertisement. if you were a plumber would you put your name and number under the truck on the frame?

Here is my Defarbed Griswold and Gunnison .36 cal Revolver with an antique finish.
image.jpg

This Pietta Spiller & Burr Revolver screams “Defarb me!!!”
3E5B3C11-55B9-4AD7-8463-FC17DE567B04.jpeg

guys that dont like the print on the barrels would be the first to sue if injured by the gun. black powder only means dont use smokeless. also the makers name and made in Italy is advertisement. if you were a plumber would you put your name and number under the truck on the frame?
Now how in the world can you make honest statement like that about the owner of any firearm? One can advertise modestly without ruining the athletics of the gun but modern manufactures are so afraid of lawyers they role over in the vain attempt to cover their butts.
What I don't like on a barrel is a sentence of law jargon that won't protect the manufacture any more than would a simple "Black powder only" stamp, caliber and manufacturer. I look at some of my Rugers and it looks like the Gettysburg address chiseled into the barrel.

Back