• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Have to brag on my black powder mentor!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
d7j4NEM.jpg

This is my dear friend, John Pruitt, with the turkey he killed this morning. I haven't heard the story yet but I'm sure it's a dandy since there's never been a turkey killed on his place that weighed less than 26 pounds with 1 1/2" spurs. Mr. Pruitt is 82 years young and is still hard at it! He builds guns and bows like he's a one-man assembly line and he still finds the time to call me at least once a week to lie to me about something. He lives on top of ShutIn Gap Mountain near Spring City, TN.

John's turkey hunting methods are rather unorthodox. He usually perches himself in a ladder stand and just waits for one to stroll by - no calling. Notice the red dot scope mounted on his flintlock smoothbore. You don't see that every day! I give him a hard time about that but you have to admire a feller his age still doing what he loves to do. I'm proud of you, Johnny Boy!

Darren

That red dot is a first for me, but at 82 years old, God bless him.
Did you say he hunts out of a tree stand?
I’m still in my 60’s and I won ‘t climb in a tree stand anymore. They sure grow them tough down in Tennessee!

d7j4NEM.jpg

This is my dear friend, John Pruitt, with the turkey he killed this morning. I haven't heard the story yet but I'm sure it's a dandy since there's never been a turkey killed on his place that weighed less than 26 pounds with 1 1/2" spurs. Mr. Pruitt is 82 years young and is still hard at it! He builds guns and bows like he's a one-man assembly line and he still finds the time to call me at least once a week to lie to me about something. He lives on top of ShutIn Gap Mountain near Spring City, TN.

John's turkey hunting methods are rather unorthodox. He usually perches himself in a ladder stand and just waits for one to stroll by - no calling. Notice the red dot scope mounted on his flintlock smoothbore. You don't see that every day! I give him a hard time about that but you have to admire a feller his age still doing what he loves to do. I'm proud of you, Johnny Boy!

Darren
Great! That barrel looks so long in the photo, you could just bonk the turkey on the head! Very nice posting and hunting story. Love the red dot! First time I've seen, thanks!

I hear you guys, I'm 82 and am too shaky to climb into a tree stand now, so I am now a tree hugger or better yet hide under a bush for a good shot. Getting out and about is the key to the sport, just breathing clean air and staying upright is what we all need.

Buck

God bless this man. I believe that staying active helps keep us both physically and mentally fit. The person I regularly hunt with is 84 and I’m 74. Last year during deer season we were heading uphill to our stand. I was lagging behind and Art turned around and said “ you going to keep up with me boy or do I need to stop and wait for you!” OUCH, I picked up the pace. Gotta love him.

Great job man us Tennessee boys like our mtns. Just like our miss Dolly Partons if you know what i mean lol

I will be 80 in July ,and thank God I am still able to hunt. I am just slower now. I give the ole gentleman credit for just getting out there and hunting.

I'm starting to believe what an older gentleman told me 40 years ago "Hunt till you drop, let the young ones drag you out." He takes a deep breath then says,
"I like to play dead and let them carry me out then wake up."
:p :ghostly:

Back