• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Have I ruined this barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCooktbg

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm new to the forum, and I'm trying to do my first build. This is a .62 cal, oct to round barrel. I missed with the back(breech end) hole in the tenon and drilled into the barrel. As best as I can measure it is about .080 deep into the barrel. Is this fixable?
barrel picture.jpg

If it is only .060-.080 deep, I wouldn't worry about it.
It isn't any deeper than some of the dovetail slots commonly machined into the breech area of a barrel and the fact that it is round will cause it to have much lower stresses in it when the barrel is shot than a common dovetail will produce.

I'm sure I could ruin one better than thato_O
Me TOO! ;) No ones going to even know it's there. I might put some low temp solder on it, but that's just me. I like to cover/fix my screw ups as much as possible. Even a dab of JB Weld will keep dirt, crud, powder residue etc. from collecting there. Evey time I do something like that, and trust me I have, I beat myself up for a week! 15 years of being a machinist doing close tolerance machine work made my already OCD perfectionism even worse, trust me.
Thanks for sharing, I thought it was just me! :D

Thanks fellas. I've built bows and knives for years, but I can tell already this things gonna take some patience... Fun though.

Thanks fellas. I've built bows and knives for years, but I can tell already this things gonna take some patience... Fun though.

If you drilled a clean hole through you can fit the existing hole with a corresponding diameter rod and essentially fill the hole by peening the drill rod in place. Counter sink both sides and peen away and file flush. Building also is about being creative and "fixing" those uh-oh's!

Also worth noting I would remove that tenon first before filling the void and replace it with a fresh one.

Back