• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Have a Kentucky pistol kit missing the flintlock. What can I use???????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it not be worth talking to Deer Creek as they did have a bunch of parts or as previously suggested use an L&R replacement.
They only have the percussion lock on the site. And L&R is one of my top choices. If I can't find something else. Thanks

I had to smile at first, because it looks to be the same pistol kit we got dad for xmas back about 77. I still have it. Have you tried contacting CVA for the lock?
My thoughts on getting the L&R lock...
about two months ago I ordered one for my Great Plains Rifle, understanding that it needed minor fitting. Wrong. Dead wrong. It required major inletting , and when I got about 1/2 way through it, I realized when done that the hammer wasnt even going to line up appropriately, and the fit to the previous opening was very poor. Double underline.
Luckily I was at the stage that I hadnt done irrepareable damage to the gun, and I called it quits. TOTW took it back with no problems. The old lock will go back on.
I would try to find the actual lock, if this is your first effort. Have a bit of patience, you can probably find a used pistol for a good price to steel the lock from. Checking the local on line auctions, and several previously on GB, avg. prices were only about 50 bucks a year ago. Granted, who knows now, but BP firearm prices are not affected as badly as centerfire.

Try L & R Locks. They have a lock in their RPL series that is designed for different manufacturers, such as CVA. I replaced the stock percussion lock on my CVA Mountain rifle, which I’ve had since 1978. It only required minor fitting and works like a charm. I got mine through Track of the Wolf

Hello everyone, hoping that someone can give me some help. Just got a Kentucky pistol kit its a 45 Cal. model. It has mostly all.of the parts. I will get what is missing through deer creek. But they seem not to have the Flintlock that comes with it. Can anyone help me out tell me what flintlock would work and where would be the best place. If anyone knows of anyone that has one that I can use would be appreciated. Would love to get this kit going. Thanks in advance. Paul.
Back before there was a 2 in front of the date a UK 'Antique" Firearms dealer sold a lot of the CVA kits to just about anyone and everyone (I'm sure Tacfoley will know who I am talking about). I bought several, pistols both Flint and Percussion, a rifle and even a quite sturdy Wheel-Lock pistol kit only to have my local Police force knock on my door about 3 months later to confiscate them all! Of course they were drilled and therefore 'live' so a no-no here in the UK without being on a Firearms Certificate.
To cut a long story short, eventually we were allowed to have everything back except the barrels which were deemed to be live so somewhere I have an original CVA flint-lock which I would be prepared to part with. Only thing to bear in mind is the cost of postage from the UK to the US of A. As stated elsewhere it's a bit of a 'toy' with no bridle over the sear and it may be polished overall? If you are interested you can PM me and we can work something out. I can guarantee you that it won't be expensive!

DO NOT buy a CVA flint lock. :mad: Buy something worth having.
I am definitely not getting a cva one at all. Looking for better now. Thanks.
Back before there was a 2 in front of the date a UK 'Antique" Firearms dealer sold a lot of the CVA kits to just about anyone and everyone (I'm sure Tacfoley will know who I am talking about). I bought several, pistols both Flint and Percussion, a rifle and even a quite sturdy Wheel-Lock pistol kit only to have my local Police force knock on my door about 3 months later to confiscate them all! Of course they were drilled and therefore 'live' so a no-no here in the UK without being on a Firearms Certificate.
To cut a long story short, eventually we were allowed to have everything back except the barrels which were deemed to be live so somewhere I have an original CVA flint-lock which I would be prepared to part with. Only thing to bear in mind is the cost of postage from the UK to the US of A. As stated elsewhere it's a bit of a 'toy' with no bridle over the sear and it may be polished overall? If you are interested you can PM me and we can work something out. I can guarantee you that it won't be expensive!
How much you want for it?

Hello everyone, hoping that someone can give me some help. Just got a Kentucky pistol kit its a 45 Cal. model. It has mostly all.of the parts. I will get what is missing through deer creek. But they seem not to have the Flintlock that comes with it. Can anyone help me out tell me what flintlock would work and where would be the best place. If anyone knows of anyone that has one that I can use would be appreciated. Would love to get this kit going. Thanks in advance. Paul.
This is a common CV kit? Should be able to get the part easily, bet several guys will send tips on who has them...good luck!

I believe a Jukar lock will fit it if you just want it to shoot?
Check with scott-wv He and his family own a BP parts company called Mountain State Muzzlerloaders. He's a member here. He helped me out more than once.
Good luck.
God bless:
Two Feathers

I believe a Jukar lock will fit it if you just want it to shoot?
Check with scott-wv He and his family own a BP parts company called Mountain State Muzzlerloaders. He's a member here. He helped me out more than once.
Good luck.
God bless:
Two Feathers
Thanks Two Feathers.

I'll dig it out this week-end and take a couple of pictures so you can see what's what. I can also weigh it for air mail postage. It's yours for £10 GBP plus postage.
Wow thanks. Yes would love to see it. Thanks John May.

Mountain States muzzle Loading, Dixie Gunworks and Track of the Wolf advertise a lot of L & R replacement locks for specific brands and models of guns. Their prices vary and shipping adds a lot. Track has or had life size photos of their locks and you could xerox a lock in question, cut of the profile and see if it will drop into the mortise on your CVA. I started out with a CVA pistol kit in the early 70's an up graded to a better version of their beginner lock. Even soled it with a Russ Hamm degraded uranium strip which is so dangerous to use that I have another one that won't go on a new flintlock that has never sparked. Don't own the retrofitted CVA and hope whoever bought it knows about the danger of the material.

Wow thanks. Yes would love to see it. Thanks John May.

As promised, a couple of photos of the lock in question. I have removed the mainspring (shown) to prevent it 'setting' whilst stored and, at the moment I can't put my hand on the sear spring although I know it's here somewhere! I have the screw, the spring is just being elusive!

Postage to the US of A based on a 250 gram parcel will be approximately £10.65 ($15).
C482CD32-6C72-4EFA-B709-EDC5212649C5_1_201_a.jpeg
9249AA17-7865-490F-A898-4FE597E706F2_1_201_a.jpeg

It looks nice. So $15 US for shipping and $15 US for the lock? If you can find all.part this sounds like a great deal. Thanks for looking for everything!!

Latest posts

Back