Hats

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

mushka

36 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've no experience with the old time rendezvous type hats but I have experience with the western styles. I bought a 5x beaver stetson while living in Md. and it did well. When I moved to Az. I found that it was just too hot to wear here in the hot times. Be somewhat guided by the climate where you will be wearing the hat.

Red Owl

36 Cl.
Reaction score
If you are interested i9n the mountain man era, most of the trade goods lists have wool hats, pc. The beaver was sold. (Felt)

waksupi

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Can you please share who made your hat??. I am looking for a period correct round Rifleman's hat in 100% Beaver Felt and am having quite a time tracking one down.
H&H Hats, Darby, Montana. Jimmy and Rich are the builders. Rich is Bill Sublette's great great (great great?) grandson.

The reason a 100% beaver felt hat is so expensive, I was surprised to find out, it takes 34 beaver bellies to make one! It's not hard to find custom hats that go for $2500+.

Last edited:

Einsiedler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have one of Matthew’s round hats. It is a great hat!

On the right. Enjoying some music in the tavern tent.
DB0835D4-921E-406F-A606-5C8F79D2BA61.jpeg

waksupi

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I only see fur felt which usually means rabbit
Correct. There are only around 50 true custom hat makers left in North America, and are the only ones you will get a beaver felt hat from. The commercial dealers only carry wool felt.
Even if you get a blend of 50/50 beaver/rabbit, you can expect to pay at least $600.

Latest posts