• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hatfield flinter 36 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretty

32 Cal.
Reaction score
On my first post about wanting a 54 cal flintier I forgot to say I have a Hatfield 36 full stock flintier that I have not shot, bought it several years ago from a gardener fer $350.00 don't know what I have but am going to take it out when cooler weather gets here, anybody knows what I got?

In good shape you done reaaal goood! Try 25 gr 3f and a Pillow ticking patch lubed with spit or mink oil or whtever ya choose with a .350 round ball. Its a good start. Later on getcha a copy of the Dutch Schultz accuracy method for black powder and try it. Should be a tack driver.

We LIKE pictures

You've got a high-quality rifle for about a third of what they usually change hands for. :bow: :v

Good luck, and take it dancing in the woods

(after you check your state's game laws to see what animals a .36 can legally be used for.).

I don't think you should pay any attention to what these fellows say. :grin:
Your rifle is old and outdated, and you should send it to me. :shocked2:
I will look after it well, as I appreciate these older outdated guns.
The .36 cal. is very friendly to shoot. Cheap on powder and lead.
With practice and good eyesight it is easy to have one ragged hole groups at 50 yards.
Get to know your lock, it is much different than a percussion, and modern guns.
Once you are dead sure of the lock, your confidence and accuracy will improve greatly.
That little .36 ball will move along close to 2000 feet per second :shocked2:
So it shoots really flat to 75 yards.
Fred

There is word out there that later Hatfield rifles started to suffer from lack of quality control but Most of the Hatfields are good rifles.

Sounds like you got a good deal to me. I bought a 36 earlier this year, and freaking love it.

Well how about that, cant wait to try it out thanks a lot fer the info. I had no Idea what I was buying just kind of liked the looks of it.

I think I saw one today on a gun auction site for around double the cost of what you have in yours. I have visited Ted Hatfields factory in St. Joe, MO. in the 1980's and he was kind enough to show me around. I have a couple of his percussion .50's and they are dang accurate for off hand shooting. Done quite well in shoots with one of them! If you just can't get the hang of that flinter, please contact me and I will be glad to take it off your hands!! Greg. :)

Old Ford said:
I don't think you should pay any attention to what these fellows say. :grin:
Your rifle is old and outdated, and you should send it to me. :shocked2:
I will look after it well, as I appreciate these older outdated guns.
The .36 cal. is very friendly to shoot. Cheap on powder and lead.
With practice and good eyesight it is easy to have one ragged hole groups at 50 yards.
Get to know your lock, it is much different than a percussion, and modern guns.
Once you are dead sure of the lock, your confidence and accuracy will improve greatly.
That little .36 ball will move along close to 2000 feet per second :shocked2:
So it shoots really flat to 75 yards.
Fred
Mighty kind of you fer your offer to take it off my hands, I'll keep you In mind

Excellent find for that price. Hatfields are essentially a Pedersoli frontier rifle... Actually identical. However with a richer history they are indeed more valuable and rare. :hatsoff:

I had one and sold it, production rifles just don't do anything for me but the Hatfield I had was beautiful. She'll shoot very well for you, enjoy her!

I have never owned one myself however did have a friend who had a early one. That was a quality rifle well made good inletting etc. I had a chance to see a later model of one and workmanship was of a lesser quality. IMHO if yours is a early model you have a real gem if its a later one it is probably a average quality gun

I always wanted a Hatfield; yearned for one, actually. You got a great deal! But don't listen to all these guys, they're just stringing you along. AHEM! But I will give it to you straight. Just keep this in mind: First; those rifles ain't worth much. Second; you don't seem to care all that much for it. Third; Christmas is coming, hint, and I could really use one, hint, and I'll be happy to pay shipping, Ahem! and slip you a few bucks on the sly. :D

On my first post about wanting a 54 cal flintier I forgot to say I have a Hatfield 36 full stock flintier that I have not shot, bought it several years ago from a gardener fer $350.00 don't know what I have but am going to take it out when cooler weather gets here, anybody knows what I got?

I have a 50 cal Hatfield with the Pedersoli barrel. It has the extra fancy stock and is a very attractive rifle. I paid about double what you did for your Hatfield.The workmanship is very good. It came with a percussion lock and I then bought an L&R flint lock and parts to convert it to a flintlock. Now I have 2 rifles in one.
When I get tired of it, I am sure that Hanshi or OldFord will take it off my hands.:D
Ron

I have a Hatfield flint in .45 with PPP+ birdseye maple stock. It is an early gun and very well made. Shoots great too! For a while, black powder was hard to come by here in CT so I got a percussion lock and drum to convert the gun so I could still shoot it. Now I order Black Powder thru the mail, and have converted the gun back to flint. It is one of my favorite muzzleloaders.

I have a 50 cal Hatfield with the Pedersoli barrel. It has the extra fancy stock and is a very attractive rifle. I paid about double what you did for your Hatfield.The workmanship is very good. It came with a percussion lock and I then bought an L&R flint lock and parts to convert it to a flintlock. Now I have 2 rifles in one.
When I get tired of it, I am sure that Hanshi or OldFord will take it off my hands.:D
Ron

You got that right! But then, there's that bond that develops. Oh well.

Back