• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hatfield .50cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just looking to verify, this rifle is correct. I ran across it in a local shop,and am trying to find out if it is an earlier gen, or later questionable gen. One issue in particular is that the rear of the trigger guard is not attached to the stock, there is also no hole even drilled for it in the rear position. I couldn't find a serial number, but did get pictures of the markings I could find. Any advice, or help from a few of you guys who might have experience with these Hatfields would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210922_104601.jpg
    20210922_104601.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 20210922_104555.jpg
    20210922_104555.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 20210922_104547.jpg
    20210922_104547.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 20210922_104543.jpg
    20210922_104543.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 20210922_104524.jpg
    20210922_104524.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 186
  • 20210922_104520.jpg
    20210922_104520.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 20210922_104459.jpg
    20210922_104459.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 151
  • 20210922_104447.jpg
    20210922_104447.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 158
  • 20210922_104440.jpg
    20210922_104440.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 152
It looks like a wrench slipped on the barrel in photo 104524 and the tang doesn't align with the top barrel flat.

Could someone have changed out the trigger assembly with an aftermarket one? That could explain the lack of a provision to mount the trigger guard. That does look to be the correct trigger guard.

The pictures suggest it is still at the pawn shop.

I had one of those. It may be a Cabela's rifle. It is not an earlier, nicer rifle. The trigger guard is not inletted by design. I forget how the front was attached, I want to say a pin.

The breech was attacked by bubba. Bubba probably did not know that the drum threaded into a super long breech plug like CVA. He probably put a cresent wrench on the barrel and gave it spin. He was likely unaware that the drum has to be removed first.

The super long breech plug has a small hole down the middle. That hole (chamber) requires special cleaning. IT also makes the rifle prone to misfires.

Run Forrest Run!! :)

I have two .50 cal percussion Hatfield’s. One I bought new around 1985. I will have to look how the guard is attached. Btw..........I don’t think I have ever had a misfire with either of mine. Both shoot extremely accurate! ( at 50 yards offhand) Greg

It looks like a wrench slipped on the barrel in photo 104524 and the tang doesn't align with the top barrel flat.

Could someone have changed out the trigger assembly with an aftermarket one? That could explain the lack of a provision to mount the trigger guard. That does look to be the correct trigger guard.
Anything is possible. Lol.

I had one of those. It may be a Cabela's rifle. It is not an earlier, nicer rifle. The trigger guard is not inletted by design. I forget how the front was attached, I want to say a pin.

The breech was attacked by bubba. Bubba probably did not know that the drum threaded into a super long breech plug like CVA. He probably put a cresent wrench on the barrel and gave it spin. He was likely unaware that the drum has to be removed first.

The super long breech plug has a small hole down the middle. That hole (chamber) requires special cleaning. IT also makes the rifle prone to misfires.

This is what I was needing to find out. I had a shaky feeling about it to begin with. I'll just pass on this one. I appreciate the help.

How much was the shop asking for it? Greg

I was wondering the same thing. I don't want/need the gun, but if the shop has a $300 price tag on it or something, it would be a bargain even if a few things needed attention. If the price tag is $500 or more it's not as attractive, but it's still likely equal or preferable to many/most commercial type muzzleloaders.

I once had an "original" Hatfield that I ordered in Grade II. It was a beautiful piece that shot as well as it looked. I HAD a good friend who coveted the gun, and as a result I gifted it to him one Christmas. He promptly set about "customizing" it to his specifications (removing the set trigger, etc.). By the time he was done, it wasn't worth a pile of pigeon poop. He sold it shortly thereafter. Needless to say, the gun or the friendship wasn't the same since.

I'd say you are insulting Bubba. Just stay very far from this thing. At any price.

For those who have asked. No I'm not buying it. It is at Damerons pawn and gun in Amarillo Tx. It's a consignment peice for 550.00 and the shop manager said there's no wiggle room on the price with the actual owner.

For those who have asked. No I'm not buying it. It is at Damerons pawn and gun in Amarillo Tx. It's a consignment peice for 550.00 and the shop manager said there's no wiggle room on the price with the actual owner.

Thank him for that as he's actually protecting you!

Latest posts

Back