• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hatfield 50 Percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belld416

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently picked this rifle up. It’s a 50 caliber Hatfield. I have a Pedersoli 45 Frontier that is very similar. I love the way it feels and shoots. I have shot it around 30 or 40 times.

I have found a few websites about these guns. Best I can tell it was made around 88 or 89. It appears that Pedersoli made these barrels on some of these guns.

I would appreciate any information on these rifles that you guys have.

Thanks!

Attachments

• B9D712A6-8303-4145-90A4-D58562D78D19.jpeg
    B9D712A6-8303-4145-90A4-D58562D78D19.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 165
  • D354BA2A-50E4-4BA5-9D1F-BD1D869D4521.jpeg
    D354BA2A-50E4-4BA5-9D1F-BD1D869D4521.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 7B9E0B16-D076-4BBC-A545-82F67CDA92F6.jpeg
    7B9E0B16-D076-4BBC-A545-82F67CDA92F6.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 156
If your Hatfield barrel says it was made in Italy, to find out when your gun was proof tested look for the little square or rectangular box next to the proof marks.
It will have some letters in it that represent the year the barrel was tested.

Follow this link to find out what year the letters represent.

http://www.powderhombre.com/mbpproofmarks.pdf
I doubt that the barrel was made in Spain but if it was, this link might give you an idea of when the barrel was proof tested.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/modern-replica-dating-by-proof-marks.49482/

...to find out when your gun was proof tested look for the little square or rectangular box next to the proof marks.
It shows "AT" in the photos, which is 1988.
Hatfield contracted with Pedersoli to produce the Frontier with certain specs, including putting "Hatfield" on the barrel.

Yours might be a "kit" or perhaps it's not the deluxe version. The most expensive version I saw in 1990, and it had a blued barrel that had been machine polished, and the edges of the flats on the octagon barrel were rounded because of the polishing 🤮. Yours is much prettier with the edges on the flats still well defined.

LD

My early Hatfield’s have a 1/66” twist.........does anyone know if these Pedersoli barrels are the same twist or are they the 1/48” like the Frontier rifle?? Btw........congrats on your Hatfield! Nice looking!! Greg

Did you notice that section on the bottom barrel flat right at the breech (just to the right of the proof marks in your picture) where the finish is removed. That's where the Hatfield company had the Pedersoli name removed.

Here's a picture of the bottom barrel flat of my Hatfield .45 flintlock.

39209877045_b82d92e9ce_c.jpg

Here's the gun.

40109115901_9e5758e49a_c.jpg

40109115771_562229157e_c.jpg

40109115661_b93a2ed4b7_c.jpg

40109115451_620d614a43_c.jpg

Last edited:
My early Hatfield’s have a 1/66” twist.........does anyone know if these Pedersoli barrels are the same twist or are they the 1/48” like the Frontier rifle?? Btw........congrats on your Hatfield! Nice looking!! Greg
Best I could tell, this barrel is a 1/48” twist. I tested with a tight patch and I got about 3/4 of a turn in 39”. So I’m guessing that’s pretty close to a 1/48”.

Hello! Does anyone know if there is a record of the number of rifles that Ted Hatfield himself made? I have a Kentucky that I bought a few years ago. my serial number is less than 20. The wood is way more plain than pictured above and has a more satin finish.

Hello! Does anyone know if there is a record of the number of rifles that Ted Hatfield himself made? I have a Kentucky that I bought a few years ago. my serial number is less than 20. The wood is way more plain than pictured above and has a more satin finish.
Can’t help you with how many, but mine is a semi custom, with premium wood and steel furniture 50 cal flinter no 408

I own a .50 Hatfield in flintlock. Twist is 1:70 my friend. Here is a link on the Hatfield with a little bit of history on them. Respectfully, Cowboy https://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol3no1/articles/mbo31-2.shtml
I own a .50 Hatfield in flintlock. Twist is 1:70 my friend. Here is a link on the Hatfield with a little bit of history on them.

Respectfully, Cowboy

https://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol3no1/articles/mbo31-2.shtml
Thanks for the link on the Hatfield. Do you know how long these rifles were produced and were all of the the barrels Green Mountain? I have a Pedersoli Frontier that feels much like this Hatfield but doesn't have the "hefty" feeling of the Hatfield. My Hatfield barrel has proof stamps underneath but something has been ground off behind the serial number. The manufacture perhaps? I've read where the barrels were imported from Pedersoli and the Pedersoli name were ground off by Hatfield when the rifles were built? But I am for certain that my Hatfield barrel weighs more than my Pedersoli barrel.

Nevertheless, this rifle is a very accurate shooter. I fine tuned my sights yesterday and walked my woods course. One ragged hole patterns are possible at 50 yds if I do my part. This was off sand bags of course.

Thanks

Back