• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Has the shortage of Modern Ammo Caused a Resurgence in Black Powder Shooting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The club I belong too on the range I have never seen another BP shooter of the traditional type weapons, Only prior to the muzzle loading season and then there are a few not many in-line guys, and then they only shoot two or three times. Even this past year while hunting deer during the muzzleloader season never heard another shot, I do not think there is a up tic in the black powder shooters especially the traditional guys, we are a select group.

I am usually the only black powder shooter, except the week before our fall muzzleloader season. Then, I am surely the only flintlock shooter. Always draws a crowd, and I always offer to let others shoot my blackpowder guns. Yesterday there were three guys, twenty-somethings, with an assortment of modern guns from Mosin Nagants to 30 caliber carbines to bolt 6.5 Creedmores to 12 ga pumps. Lots of noise and fury.

I let them each shoot my .54 Plains rifle at my target at 75 yards. They were surprised that my groups at 75 yards were tighter than theirs at 50 yards. Two of them were able to hit my target, one missed. But they all left feeling that they had learned something and universally said, "Cool! Thanks!"

Most days on the range are less busy than pre-pandemic. Those who show up are shooting fewer shots.

ADK Bigfoot

A Nosler video that I watched several weeks ago opened my eyes to several new truths vis-a-vis the current situation regarding centerfire & muzzleloading shortages.

Before Covid-19, the political climate had already started on the panic buying. April-May-June 2020 were the best months for sales historically for the vast majority of firearms related companies in the United States. By May 2020 the on demand ordering/resupply system in the United States had broken down due to massive demand that the supply side simply could not handle.

Before Covid-19, there was a stable hunting/shooting population in the United States of approximately 50 million. In less than 8 months, 5-7 million additional hunters/shooters were added to that stable population, an increase of 10%-14% in a very short time.

No one knows just how many of those 5-7 million new shooters & hunters turned their attention to muzzleloading when boredom, and a lack of centerfire ammo/components started to make itself known; but my guess is that it was a good many. Enough to significantly effect a relatively small muzzleloading population.

Since muzzleloading is such a small segment of the firearms industry, any company involved in both aspects is going to concentrate on the centerfire side of the business first, before focusing on the muzzleloading side. That, and so, so many of our companies are very small concerns, with small outputs.

As I stated in other posts, yes the covid situation has put a hurt on manufacturing, Yes there is a buying spree going on, But I think the real problem lies in the issue that the manufacturing people are really cutting back on making those needed items, the suppliers are clearing out stock, in anticipation of the current issues related to all weapon issues so as not too get stuck with a surplus of shall we say regulated items. Even our muzzleloaders are or will be on the chopping block, lets hope not.

The Nosler representative in the video I watched would seem to contradict your assertions, ones that I myself have had.

He stated that they had gone from two shifts to three shifts, and were working 24/7. He also stated that Nosler had invested in new machinery, as well as the people to run the machines.

He said that this was a completely new paradigm for them, and that the absolute soonest that things might return to "normal" would be a year off, assuming there were no new reasons to delay a return to "normal".

Figure if I was rep. for a big company such as Nosler and what's going on I would say the same thing, think about what's going to happen in a year, election for the congress and senate, perhaps things will turn around a bit, lets hope. It does seem funny that Nosler is supposedly running three shifts 24-7 new machinery and folks too run the machinery, I have had bullets on back order for a year now from a very good gun shop. You would think with a reps. statement like you mention one could get three boxes of bullets in a year.

R.J., I took another look at your post, the last part leads me towards the reason as I stated, I tend to read between the lines on these sort of things, especially the statement perhaps a year off, and no new reason to delay a return to normal. Leads me to believe production has all but stopped waiting too see what happens, how does this relate to muzzleloaders I feel it is the same situation with those manufacture's put out just enough to try and stay solvent until hopefully things change. Which in turn is immediately bought bye shooters. The other thing too look at is with the un-mentionable components I would venture to say are going straight to military production. We are in a sinking boat awaiting rescue hopefully it will arrive.

I can't control what other people think, or act. For my own peace of mind, I am learning not to try and second guess, or interpret, anything that someone else says. If subsequent events prove that what the Nosler representative said in their video was deliberately misleading, shame on them. I have said all that I need to in this thread.

Bruce

As regards the topic of the thread, wouldn't it be nice to see all those bangety-bang-bang raucous noise making youngsters start casting, burning black and making the first shot count!

The Nosler representative in the video I watched would seem to contradict your assertions, ones that I myself have had.

He stated that they had gone from two shifts to three shifts, and were working 24/7. He also stated that Nosler had invested in new machinery, as well as the people to run the machines.

He said that this was a completely new paradigm for them, and that the absolute soonest that things might return to "normal" would be a year off, assuming there were no new reasons to delay a return to "normal".
I just read an online article found in "American Rifleman", the periodical of the NRA..... titled "The Great Ammo Shortage of 2020- When will it end?" This article seems to corroborate what R. J. Bruce posted. In this article, the Hornady Vice President says essentially what the Nosler rep. states in video. . It's a really interesting article and ultimately lays the ammo shortage at the feet of " panic buyers" and "hoarders"....and that's coming from the NRA magazine.......Now as to the thread topic, I don't believe the ammo shortage will significantly effect a resurgence in Black Powder shooting. Living here in Central PA, I hear the constant rattle of CF shooting- even during this shortage (I would add "ammo wasters" to the culprits) These shooters , by and large, have not the patience nor the appreciation for art of muzzleloading. Perhaps if they could fit a Hawken with a clip, maybe.....Yes,.......bangety- bang- bang. - nkbj

A CF shooter and an RF shooter use suppository (breech loading) firearms. CF is an abbreviation for center fire (primer in the center of base of usually a brass cartridge) and RF is an abbreviation for rim fire such as .22's and early lever action rifles. They have made non reloading cartridges of steel and now plastic. Traditions idea of a plastic charged "powder" insert is not really a muzzle loading because it loads from the breech upon which you ram a projectile down on it from the muzzle. I don't notice an increase in shooters at our black powder or muzzle loading firearms only ranges but do find more loading components on the shelves of sporting goods and gun shops for front stuffers than "britch" loaders.

Back