• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Has the shortage of Modern Ammo Caused a Resurgence in Black Powder Shooting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My local shooting range has both Public and Member only areas. I have noticed more Black Powder Shooters on both. Some with newly acquired guns.

We’re fortunate to have one of the few remaining Black Powder dedicated shops in Oregon located here in our county. As a result, guns and supplies are readily available in our area.

I of course, approach each one, introduce myself and invite them to join our Muzzleloading group for our Monthly Matches. All are welcome but some you may not want. Three fellows who were together on one of the Member Ranges, left spent caps and spilled powder on their shooting benches. Apparently, they’re not familiar with “Leave it better than you found it”.

Hopefully with this new influx of people, our numbers will begin to climb.

Three fellows who were together on one of the Member Ranges, left spent caps and spilled powder on their shooting benches. Apparently, they’re not familiar with “Leave it better than you found it”.
If those three were members, they should know the rules of the range. But then, some members are just slobs and refuse to follow established rules. I know. At my range, I am a Range Safety Officer.

I'm assuming you are down in the Eugene/Springfield area. Up here in Portand, (TCGC) I haven't seen any new BP shooters. The number of suppository shooters has declined or their range sessions have been curtailed due to the ammo shortage. We are a private range with a year + waiting list for new members so it may be the current membership is not switching over to muzzleloaders and just riding things out.

If those three were members, they should know the rules of the range. But then, some members are just slobs and refuse to follow established rules. I know. At my range, I am a Range Safety Officer.

At least on one them was or they wouldn't have been on that range. I make it a point to walk down there at the end of the day when I'm working the Public Range. If I saw something like that, I'd remind them to clean up after themselves. Unfortunately, nobody caught them doing it so it's hard to prove.

I’m not seeing a bump at our range. If anything, there’s less pew pew going only and I often have the place to myself.

I haven't seen any more BP shooters at the club I belong to. Come to think of it, I don't know that I have ever seen anyone besides myself shooting blackpowder.

Im usually the only one on the local range, i have seen a few inlines but not many. I shoot a flintlock longrifle, yet every time I show up the kid that works the range gets all excited about my "civil war musket" i've explained the differences morebthan once to no avail.....

Chris

I'll only go to a range to sight in a new gun. After that all my practice is offhand woods walks on national forest land.

CF shooters all whine about the smoke from muzzleloaders. I just chuckle and keep shooting.

I found 1000 RWS 1075 #11 caps and grabbed them. Along with a bunch of Goex 2F. Lot's of patches and balls too. I'm all set for awhile.

I haven't noticed a bump at my local range, but I usually shoot BP about every third trip. Same for .22. I try to limit my use of unobtanium ammo these days.

Back