• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Has anyone used 1F in a rifle ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pound of Olde Eynsford 1F and am waiting for favorable weather. I keep; thinking about it!

Been building a hi-bred load. 10 grains of fff, then topped off with pyrodex or 1 1/2 f to total actual grains desired. Seat patched ball with a damp patch on jag to clean some fouling. So far so good. No hang fires, accuracy good. Getting rid of some of the powders I don’t like to use straight and making smoke. I have plenty of 2f and 3 f for orginized shoots.

I use to shoot BPCR a 45-100 Shiloh Sharps. I have 1FG left over from shooting it. It was Swiss and it worked very well in the Shiloh. I tried some in one of my 54 caliber guns and it shot just fine. I never did do any comparisons with 2F for grouping but It sure did ring the steel I was shooting at.

I’ve used a hibred load with powder grains I didn’t care for. 10 grains of 3F first, then load the other powder on top. Might have play with total charge, but the 3F lights whatever quickly.

After inviting Lone Pine down to my farm to do some shooting and find what rifle fit him the best we all went and did some hunting. We got as a group 8 deer and had a blast. I noticed my powder was getting low so today I went over to my local shop and I sadly purchased his last pound of Goex FFG powder. He told me he has 50 lbs of FG Old Eynesford still in safe storage as no one buys it and said he could sell me as much as I wanted. I know I could use it in my bess but could I use it in a .54 caliber rifle? I know burn time will be increased leading to more delayed shots but I can't find 2 or 3 F anywhere online. Buffalo Arms and Powder Valley are all out of powder and so is Graf and Sons. If anyone knows where I can get some I would be glad to hear what you have to say. I only have 3 pounds left and them I'm all out.
From what I've seen, small bore target rifles are generally used with Fg. Capandball uses 1 1/2 Fg for his original target rifles.

Original percussion long range rifle with paper patched bullets

I use to shoot BPCR a 45-100 Shiloh Sharps. I have 1FG left over from shooting it. It was Swiss and it worked very well in the Shiloh. I tried some in one of my 54 caliber guns and it shot just fine. I never did do any comparisons with 2F for grouping but It sure did ring the steel I was shooting at.
I shoot fg in my Brown Bess, Fusil, and Fowler…it works great.

I got out to shoot the first time since February. Used my second copy of the Bridger Hawken.

I got out to shoot the first time since February. Used my second copy of the Bridger Hawken.
I just spent about two hours loading a photo and explaining how the shooting went. I don't know where that post went, but I've had it for today.

Just remember there are differences between makes , batches and grain size with Black Powder eg , Swiss is faster than the others , Schuetzen is dirtier burning etc .You really need to try some in your rifle , It will certainly work but will be different to what you are used to .. If you try to crush some and you don't sieve it you will end up with multi grade which will vary from shot to shot

After inviting Lone Pine down to my farm to do some shooting and find what rifle fit him the best we all went and did some hunting. We got as a group 8 deer and had a blast. I noticed my powder was getting low so today I went over to my local shop and I sadly purchased his last pound of Goex FFG powder. He told me he has 50 lbs of FG Old Eynesford still in safe storage as no one buys it and said he could sell me as much as I wanted. I know I could use it in my bess but could I use it in a .54 caliber rifle? I know burn time will be increased leading to more delayed shots but I can't find 2 or 3 F anywhere online. Buffalo Arms and Powder Valley are all out of powder and so is Graf and Sons. If anyone knows where I can get some I would be glad to hear what you have to say. I only have 3 pounds left and them I'm all out.

Not speaking from personal experience, but as long as you prime with something finer than 1F, I would not think there would not be any difference in ignition than when a finer granulation is loaded in the bsrrel.

I've used 1F in the King's Musket in the barrel and in the pan. Goes off as if it was made to use it. Can't really tell a difference in speed of ignition or performance between the 1F, 2f, Whatever F Reenactor powder in the Bess.

I got out to test Olde Eynsford 1F powder in my second Bridger Hawken copy I made. Shot from bench at 50 yards. Bottom target was with 80 grains of OE 1F and a .530 Hornady ball. Velocity averaged 1410 fps with 48 fps spread. Compared to Goex 2F with 80 grains (weight-corrected measures for all), five different rifles for 29 shots averaged 1544 fps. Top left target was with 100 grains of OE 1F, but I didn't get any more velocities. Right target was with 100 grains of OE 1 1/2F. 40 shots of OE 1 1/2F in 7 groups averaged 1759 in previous testing. In comparison, 40 shots of Goex 2F averaged 1730 fps in 9 tests.

I thought these groups were large until I took a closer look. The sun was on the right, and I didn't have sight shaders. There was some right wind. Four of the OE 1F went into a 2.2 inch spread, and four of the OE 1 1/2F went into a 2.5 inch spread. Still, half of the shots, 7 of14, would have cut a string at 50 yards. I'll repeat this test to get velocities.

In this month's Muzzle Blast Magazine ( September 2022), the Bevel Brothers wrote an article "FG Ballistics". They used an adjustable measure set at the same charge for all powders. In a .50 caliber, 80 grains of Goex 1F gave 1487 fps, and 80 grains of Goex 2F gave 1702 fps. In .45 caliber, 80 grains of Goex 1F gave 1590 fps and 80 grains of Goex 2F gave 1861 fps. In .32 caliber, 30 grains of Goex 1F gave 1328 fps and 30 grains of Goex 2F gave 1676 fps. In a .36 caliber Remington1858 revolver, 22 grains of Goex 1F gave 825 fps and 22 grains of Goex 2F gave 978 fps. They also had an article about Goex 1F powder in the August 2005 copy of MuzzleBlasts Magazine.

OE 1F tgts Bridger 2.JPG

Olde Eynsford 1F has very large Kernels, but it is not bulky. It measures very close to OE 1 1/2F, within a grain or two. You can trust your adjustable measure with it.
OE 1F tgts Bridger 2.JPG

I shot 100 grains of Olde Eynsford 1F in my first copy of the Bridger Hawken. .530 balls were too hard to load, so I used .520 Hornady balls, which gave velocities close to .530 balls in past tests. Even then, I had to use .015 linen that crushed to .010. I had not fired this rifle since January and didn't fire a cap to see if the nipple was clear. The first shot didn't fire so I pulled the nipple, cleaned the hole and put in 9 grains of 4F from my valve dispenser. That may be why the first shot was higher in velocity. The patch blew on the first shot. So I used wool over-powder wads for the next five shots and all patches were good. The light was good, and I knew my fifth shot was going where it did. The group measured 1.35 inches extreme spread. The chronograph worked perfectly with a new battery. I have no explanation for the low velocities. I'll do more testing eventually.
OE 1F test Bridger One.JPG
OE 1f 100 gr Bridger One.JPG

OE 1F test Bridger One.JPG
OE 1f 100 gr Bridger One.JPG

Back