• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Has anyone considered.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
using .22 cases as a cap substitute? Pulled the heads and powder for Aquila Calibris and they do fire on the nipple. I took a rod with a clean patch on a screw barrel took off the barrel and put the patch on the rod and placed it in the powder chamber. Apparently due to contaminants and burn marks on the cloth some heat makes it to the chamber. I know its not economical but it will work in a pinch. Anyones thoughts?

As an Addendum to my post I found out that the .451 recommended by pedrosoli for the Leige .44 is not ideal. Some say .454 ball size. I found out if I cut .38 patches in half and wrap it around the ball it secures it much better when seated in the bore. As it is right out of the box using what they recommend I could not even tell where I was hitting on the target even at close range. As always others experience with this particular item is welcomed.

The original Tap o cap is long gone. All is not lost as 22 reloader makes their version called Cap Maker. Many now have them I do also. Quality is good all steel. I don't know if there is a problem in shipping to you. As to filling them some ways work better than others. Can you get fireworks supplies? How about can you find toy cap gun caps.The kind in a role form. If you know someone with a lathe a cap maker can be made in a few hours. Once done it could outlast you. There are plans here to make them . I have done this for about twenty years and right now homemade caps work better than I have ever seen. Very powerful and cheap.

The original Tap o cap is long gone. All is not lost as 22 reloader makes their version called Cap Maker. Many now have them I do also. Quality is good all steel. I don't know if there is a problem in shipping to you. As to filling them some ways work better than others. Can you get fireworks supplies? How about can you find toy cap gun caps.The kind in a role form. If you know someone with a lathe a cap maker can be made in a few hours. Once done it could outlast you. There are plans here to make them . I have done this for about twenty years and right now homemade caps work better than I have ever seen. Very powerful and cheap.

Thank you sir, can you send a link please ?
Shouldnt be a problem this end ref shipping, we get a Customs clearance if its not a prohibited item.

Please elaborate on this.

Your talking about using 22lr Shells with primer compound inside… on nipple of a muzzleloader to fire a charge as of it was a #11 cap.

Isn’t it a tad long?!???!

Great idea I had not thought of. Except that 22lr is very difficult to obtain also.

However 22 shorts or cbs may be found ☝️🥴

Might try the "true" old-time "bb caps". They have no powder, just a .22 caliber round ball. During WWII, Filipinos used "strike anywhere" match heads in primers to reload and kill Japs. The old-time bb caps are quite short, by the way.

I'm just guessing that musket nipples would work better than the smaller #11 size, but never tried any of this, so really don't know. Good luck.

Please expand on it, are the Tap o Cap tools still available and what else is needed.
BTW here Down Under No11 Percussion caps are as rare as Rocking horse shite.
I haven't seen ROCKING HORSE POOP, in a good many years either. LOL!?

Back