• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Harper's Ferry Barrel Disassembly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just received a Pedersoli Harpers Ferry percussion pistol from DGW. The manual had absolutely no information pertaining to this pistol. I'm trying to take the barrel off to clean off the grease. I took out the wedge, the tang screw, and the ramrod housing. I still can't remove the barrel. Does the pin in the forearm need to be driven out? The review I just read said nothing about driving out the pin. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks

This is the 1805 conversion, correct? I've had mine apart and there was no need to remove the pin. All it required was removing the tang screw, wedge and ramrod.

This is the 1805 conversion, correct? I've had mine apart and there was no need to remove the pin. All it required was removing the tang screw, wedge and ramrod.
Just the ramrod itself? not the entire housing? The barrel did loosen when I took the ramrod housing off, but did not come free. Thanks

You did remove the lock, right?

I don’t know about that specific pistol, but on some guns, the upper lock bolt can engage the lug on the breechplug.

If you haven’t removed the lock, try taking it off.

Just one more thing to consider. When you do get the barrel off, and you will, please let us know what the “trick” or secret was.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Just the ramrod. There was no need to remove anything else on mine.

It is a tight fit. I gave the whole barrel some very, very gentle raps with a nylon hammer and that helped persuade things to move.

Yes, on some factory assembled guns the initial barrel installation can result in a stuck barrel. Redware's solution is the ticket.

Thanks for the help, everyone. Difficulties aside, I'm very pleased with this gun so far. Very well made. It my first Pedersoli and it makes my Plains Pistol feel rather crude by comparison. Working on some paper cartridges for it now.

I built mine, a fainter from Pedersoli kit from DGW. Thoroughly enjoyed the build... shoots great. The barrel fits very tight and has to be "smacked" loose to remove. Goes together easily.

Sorry, meant to attach photo of kit built 1805 Harper's Ferry

Attachments

• IMG_20201230_193258982.jpg
    IMG_20201230_193258982.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20201230_193315755.jpg
    IMG_20201230_193315755.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 8
on mine it is tight as heck.....I found that loosening the rear lock screw, which was compressing the wood around the tang, helped to get the barrel to come loose with just a bump from my hand

Back