• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Happy snowy day from central Pa.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just stopping by to introduce myself. I'll start out by saying, I know nothing about muzzleloaders. But hoping to start learning and use one for bird hunting this fall. Been doing a lot of reading different forums to get a little knowledge. Havent decided if I want to start out with a percussion SxS, or go all the way with a flintlock. Hunting woodcock has become boring to me, so I want to add a little challenge to the sport, with the ultimate goal of hunting and killing a grouse with a flintlock. Teach me as I go along asking questions.

Welcome and you have come to the best forum for early muzzleloading help! You won't find a nicer, more experienced group any where else on the internet in my opinion.

Just stopping by to introduce myself. I'll start out by saying, I know nothing about muzzleloaders. But hoping to start learning and use one for bird hunting this fall. Been doing a lot of reading different forums to get a little knowledge. Havent decided if I want to start out with a percussion SxS, or go all the way with a flintlock. Hunting woodcock has become boring to me, so I want to add a little challenge to the sport, with the ultimate goal of hunting and killing a grouse with a flintlock. Teach me as I go along asking questions.

Where are you located in the Lehigh Valley (use to have family with a farm there). I left in the mid 1960's - it was getting full of hunters from Phila. Have been shot with bird shot and a close call from a guy shooting slug in his shotgun (all from Philly). That was the only times I have been shot or shot at in 50 years of hunting.

Use to be pretty good quail and grouse hunting in Lancaster and York Counties. Potter and Chester Counties were always good for deer.

My girls & I visited your area in July 2018. The girls dropped me off at the Dixons Gun Fair & they went back to Hershey to make chocolate bars. I LOVED that day! Here's the fun I encountered besides lusting after those cool guns:

I was there that weekend as well. I actually purchased my first "custom" flintlock that weekend. It was one of the ones hanging from the ceiling in the shop.

Back