• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Happy Saturday Evening!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just seeing if everyone in the rock-scraping world is doing alright?! Anyone shoot a flintlock today? I didn't on account of having to earn my daily crust, but oh well. Still waiting on an email that my Buffalo Arms powder order has shipped in the last three days. Anyone else got a notification yet?

Happy Sunday!! The fire is great in the stove, my rifles are polished and bright, and most of my children are asleep! 'Bout time for me to haul it on into bed. Wonderful season!! Wonderful moonlit night. Good cold weather!

75EFE26F-3EF0-4DB2-AD6D-BCE6EF8C763A.jpeg

Didn’t fire a shot, but enjoyed the 8 hour sit….

View attachment 105655

Didn’t fire a shot, but enjoyed the 8 hour sit….

I like the outfit
I like the rifle
I like the setting
Thanks for the photo!

Good for you to get out there! 👍

All I did yesterday was some recipe research. I found some bread and some brewing recipes, but they tend to be done in commercial amounts, so I have to then work on conversions down for my kitchen.

LD

I didn’t get a chance to go sit in the stand yesterday, but hopefully I’m going Wednesday. I did continue working on a new powder horn for myself for squirrel hunting.

Attachments

• 2996AF22-734B-474C-9BE4-7218C26BC967.jpeg
    2996AF22-734B-474C-9BE4-7218C26BC967.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 26
It was a long sit, with unpredictable winds…
I saw 5 does & that mangy coyote again..

I rolled the cock back on him at 09:20..
But let him pass again…
Just could not bring myself too shooting him on opening day of rifle season…after just seeing 4 of those does pass bye..

But his days coming…. Those persimmons are going too be his downfall.🥸

Wool is from Asbells, & Townsend, rifle is a Tip Curtis made .54 that has served me well.

8981A4A6-17AF-453D-9FB9-5835B12DC886.jpeg
D4C98F46-BBAC-4575-AE84-1B5EF55FC476.jpeg
2D7E8CCF-FD26-4FEE-9983-AE4595A62FDB.jpeg

Just seeing if everyone in the rock-scraping world is doing alright?! Anyone shoot a flintlock today? I didn't on account of having to earn my daily crust, but oh well. Still waiting on an email that my Buffalo Arms powder order has shipped in the last three days. Anyone else got a notification yet?
No but I did educate my brother in-law on muzzleloaders. He and his Mrs were my house guests for a couple days. He owns a Henry lever action so he's not a complete newb. I have a flintlock, a percussion and an inline so I was explaining the different ignition systems to him. That's as close as going to the range as I got.

It was a long sit, with unpredictable winds…
I saw 5 does & that mangy coyote again..

I rolled the cock back on him at 09:20..
But let him pass again…
Just could not bring myself too shooting him on opening day of rifle season…after just seeing 4 of those does pass bye..

But his days coming…. Those persimmons are going too be his downfall.🥸

Wool is from Asbells, & Townsend, rifle is a Tip Curtis made .54 that has served me well.

View attachment 105661View attachment 105662View attachment 105663
Persimmons have been the downfall of a many a creature surr enough!

Saturday late, crops out, winter stores look good, In my office pondering next years activities and farm plans. Thinking about the people that are trying to survive within this mess of a government, including my family. Couldn't even get parts for a Cummins diesel without back order this year. Personally, I see no sense in expanding, as I was going to open more ground for tillage. In fact I am going to shut down and try to calculate just enough to meet expenses and taxes.
Families just making as it is and being strangled with transportation cost and grocery cost. I think we need to drop the cell phones and texting a little and start talking to each other. We are in for a rough three and half years folks, but we'll make it if we look out for each other.
Anyway Catty, that is what I was doing the majority of Saturday night. Hope good news of the powder shows up.

Saturday late, crops out, winter stores look good, In my office pondering next years activities and farm plans. Thinking about the people that are trying to survive within this mess of a government, including my family. Couldn't even get parts for a Cummins diesel without back order this year. Personally, I see no sense in expanding, as I was going to open more ground for tillage. In fact I am going to shut down and try to calculate just enough to meet expenses and taxes.
Families just making as it is and being strangled with transportation cost and grocery cost. I think we need to drop the cell phones and texting a little and start talking to each other. We are in for a rough three and half years folks, but we'll make it if we look out for each other.
Anyway Catty, that is what I was doing the majority of Saturday night. Hope good news of the powder shows up.

Well, the actual good news with regard to the powder is that I in no way need it to survive. I'm not wealthy by any American standard, but I am extremely blessed. I prefer to believe that our best days are ahead of us, starting with this gorgeous Lord's Day that has just begun!

I am heading out with the family to the in-laws to do a bit of shooting today. Gonna load check the .50 cal "Possibly-in reality- more of a Bucks County, but probably called a Lehigh by TOW" rifle.

Will also shoot the .40 Pennsylvania poor boy for the first time too. It's an iron Penn furniture mounted gun but most folks seeing it from a distance would think it is a SMR of some type. Small Germanic lock.. No nose cap, just the wood left very thick to prevent breakage because the stock along the barrel is not even a quarter inch thick. No butt plate. Dark red cherry colored maple stock with no carving and a bone toeplate. It's a handsome gun, but most folks might call it a hybrid of styles. Straight barrel, about 11/16 across.

Alright! Shot the ol .50 and grouping was fair. The 3 high fliers were my fault. Every shot was theoretically aimed at the x but I was shooting for group so the two that hit the x are actually fliers. The lower five are six were where the rifle is actually grouping. 60gr 3f Goex, Hornady .490 LRB, .018 ticking lubed with bear/beeswax/juju paste lube. Patch cut at the muzzle. Prime was Goex 4f. The group ain't great but with two highbacked old chairs as a bench, I feel okay about it. Distance was 54 paces according to my father in law. Writing home I ain't, but it's a good start for a first time ever shooting this rifle. One chair was was the rest, the other was the seat!

Attachments

• 20211121_153845.jpg
    20211121_153845.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 23
Back