• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Happiness is (part 3),,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49399

54 Cal.
Reaction score
3E41ECD5-084C-4AAF-8BDF-50E096D428B9.jpeg
A Kentucky rifle in East Tennessee. A Traditions Kentucky, .50 caliber, percussion.

24BDE05A-5A2A-4F0B-9FDA-AD2438896D85.jpeg
50 yards, off hand. Load was 50 grains of Pyrodex 2f, homemade .495 round ball, spit lubed paper towel wad. Powder, ball, wad.

Is this combination easy and quick to load? Yes.

Would it win a match against serious shooters? Probably not.

Is it accurate enough for plinking inside 50 yards? Absolutely.

Last edited:
The shots pictured were some of the first ones so I could photograph them to show how this combination worked. There were another forty something shots taken at various distances at random, reactive targets that were laying on the range such as sticks, dirt clods, plastic bottles, cardboard boxes, etc.

All shooting was done off hand, standing and out of the bag. A shooting bench was only used as a place to lay my rifle case so it didn’t get muddy. Shooting from a bench rest and trying to put all shots into a tiny circle on paper gets mighty boring, mighty quick to me.

As an added bonus, here’s some free, homegrown shooting wisdom.
There are many pages of discussion about the best way to clean and lube a muzzleloader. Here’s a three step process that works for me.

Step 1: Shoot the muzzleloader.
Step 2: Clean and lube the muzzleloader as best I can.
Step 3: Shoot the muzzleloader again before it has time to rust!

😄

Back