• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hankering for a new smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good morning. New member here. I’m a longtime blackpowder shooter and hunter. my favorite front stuffer is by far my north star west canoe gun made back in 2016. it’s a 20 gauge. what a little weapon. I sure wish those guys were still in business I’d be placing my order today. my question for other members is I have gotten the bug for another smooth bore. Something a little longer and a full length of pull. it’s hard because I can’t physically hold other options. I really like Caywoods website and descriptions but I’m not sure a full 41 inch barrel English Fowler is the right choice without holding one and getting a feel for the balance and weight. I don’t want it to be ungainly. So basically I’m stuck on barrel length and if I should stick with 20 gauge or move up to a 12 gauge. the canoe gun is such a dandy unreal light and handy to use and actually serves its role well for small game with shot out to 25 yards and deer inside 40 yards. I’m certainly not looking for a replacement for it just a complimentary smoothbore that may be better for wing shooting clays etc and add some range to my shots. Plus I love it so much I need another. I really like the trade gun design but am not against a English Fowler like caywoods I just want a well balanced not to heavy or bulky feeling. so after this long winded post any suggestions thoughts or opinions are welcomed. Thankyou and I’m glad to Be in touch with others of the passion

I have a Caywood trade gun with a 20 ga. 41 inch barrel. It's a joy to shoot. And it comes up very nicely. It weighs just a little over six (6) pounds.

I have a Caywood North West Trade gun as well. I recently bought my wife a different trade gun that we bought second hand from a guy that said he got it from Track of the Wolf. Comparing both guns, I noticed first thing that the Caywood has a much thinner barrel. The barrel on the other gun is thick in comparison and hence heavier in the front as well.

IMHO.
I’m a big old boy. Used to be almost six feet but back injuries or bathing in hot water has shrunk me to 5’10. I’m about 220lbs. I had a NWG in a 36” barrel. It was uncomfortable for me to shoot. I have a Centermark TFC and it’s the most comfortable gun I ever shot. That’s in a 42” barrel.
I got my NWG from a Track of the Wolf kit. Excellent kit, turned out a good looking gun and the lock was a dream. However it was just never comfortable for me, and was only about six ounces lighter them my TFC.
I can’t say anything about your situation it you may find a longer gun very comfortable.

Thankyou for all the reply’s so far. I love my little trade gun but it would be nice to have a full lop and a bit more barrel for some situations. Wish there was somewhere close by to handle a few. The drive to caywoods shop just might be worth it. his English Fowler in 12 or 20 gauge looks really nice and light. is there that much difference in stock design between a English Fowler and a trade gun from him?

Hi Ryan, where are you? If you are at all able to pack a lunch and make it to Caywood's I believe it will be worth the trip. They are excellent and can answer any questions that you may have. I have met Danny C. at the ML shoots at Berryville, and we sat and talked a while about Blanket guns; last time I met him I had just completed a 12ga. 14" barreled gun from scratch parts. It has an old Japanese Tower flintlock I converted to percussion by installing a hammer block in the jaws and matching up to a new drum and musket nipple. Ash stock stained walnut, trimmed to about a 9-10" 'pull'. It has a regular fowler trigger and an old reworked brass rifle guard. He asked if I had fired it yet and I said no, I wanted him to have the honor of the first shot, LOL! 'Oh HELL no he says, it's your baby!' ( It has become a favorite.) Danny has been making ML's since before Arkansas had cactus on the border. He despises touch hole liners on flintlocks, and will not install one. He also can hone out a straight cylinder barrel to a jug choke which may help you with a dedicated fowler for hunting. You will enjoy meeting Danny, he is kind of an old time gunsmith that does not like stupid questions, and will be most helpful if you kind of know what you're talking about. Great man. P.S. He can build you a 12ga fowler that only weighs about 5 plus lbs! Good luck in your quest!

I’m in southern Indiana. I spoke with danny for a second time today. I think I’m gonna go with the English game gun in 12 gauge. Now to pick options. Definitely upgraded wood and jug choke. Maybe the patch box. Not sure about the rear sight or not. the barrel length is 30 inches which seems a good middle for gettting around in tight spots and better accuracy. I only have 20 gauge components wasn’t sure about adding another caliber but the 12 just sounds like a nice option. I’m slowly narrowing it down maybe by tomorrow I’ll know and I can get my deposit sent!

There's a period trade show in Cincinnati this week. Good place to handle a few.

Good morning. New member here. I’m a longtime blackpowder shooter and hunter. my favorite front stuffer is by far my north star west canoe gun made back in 2016. it’s a 20 gauge. what a little weapon. I sure wish those guys were still in business I’d be placing my order today. my question for other members is I have gotten the bug for another smooth bore. Something a little longer and a full length of pull. it’s hard because I can’t physically hold other options. I really like Caywoods website and descriptions but I’m not sure a full 41 inch barrel English Fowler is the right choice without holding one and getting a feel for the balance and weight. I don’t want it to be ungainly. So basically I’m stuck on barrel length and if I should stick with 20 gauge or move up to a 12 gauge. the canoe gun is such a dandy unreal light and handy to use and actually serves its role well for small game with shot out to 25 yards and deer inside 40 yards. I’m certainly not looking for a replacement for it just a complimentary smoothbore that may be better for wing shooting clays etc and add some range to my shots. Plus I love it so much I need another. I really like the trade gun design but am not against a English Fowler like caywoods I just want a well balanced not to heavy or bulky feeling. so after this long winded post any suggestions thoughts or opinions are welcomed. Thankyou and I’m glad to Be in touch with others of the passion
Update to this post. Danny called me Monday he is finishing my English game gun up finalizes the details etc. I sent the final balance due and I should have the new clinger in hand in 3-4 weeks! Very excited as this will come right in time for spring turkeys if I can get it patterned

Update to this post. Danny called me Monday he is finishing my English game gun up finalizes the details etc. I sent the final balance due and I should have the new clinger in hand in 3-4 weeks! Very excited as this will come right in time for spring turkeys if I can get it patterned
FLINTER NOT CLINGER

Back