• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hanging over the fireplace

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run a couple of stained pegs into the stone/ brick and go for it. By the way, hanging your horn off one of the pegs is PERFECTLY SAFE. A friend had a serious house fire and had several horns full of powder hanging with his rifles. When we went in to clean up the horns were found and of course the powder was gone. The horns had melted where the fire hit them and the powder burned, black powder uncontained, as in a rifle, DOES NOT EXPLODE.
Isn't powder "contained" when it is in a barrel with a breech plug on one end & a ball on the other???

This hanger was a set of old Mexican spurs and was not originally made for this rifle. It was made for an old shotgun that I wanted to hang high to
20201101_073519.jpg
keep young hands off of it but not their eyes. I need to rework it so the weight of the rifle doesn't rest on the trigger guard. I like the idea of the spoons, this "spur idea" just doesn't fit this gun.

Isn't powder "contained" when it is in a barrel with a breech plug on one end & a ball on the other???
Not really.
Powder in a modern cartridge is totally contained because the bullet and primer are pressed into the case.
With a muzzleloader, the hole in the nipple on a percussion gun or the vent hole on the flintlocks is almost always open to the air outside the bore unless some special things are done to seal it.

Although it isn't a lot, there is always some air either coming out of the bore or going into it thru these holes due to changes in the atmospheric pressure.
That fresh air going into the barrel carries some humidity with it and this moisture will be absorbed by the powder.
Although there isn't much air going in or out of the bore, over time the moisture in the powder will accumulate.

I am aware of this moisture + impurities in some badly made powder caused a hole to corrode through the breech of someone's hunting rifle stored loaded. Ask Mad Monk.

I am also aware that old, loaded muskets can & sometimes do still fire. I unloaded a Civil War surplus Potsdam musket in 1955. Dry powder came out. Later on I shot that gun a few times, loaded with bird shot.

Kinda off-topic, just don't think an old gun is surely empty & won't go BOOM just because its old.

Just a precautionary note in reference to displaying the muzzleloader with horn over the fireplace.

I’m sure you wouldn’t hang the horn full of powder above the fireplace if it’s being used? Rock and brick gets hot and heat rises.

Don’t know your layout my friend and you’ve probably taken that into account . It’s just the first thing that popped into my mind?

Respectfully, Cowboy

I concur.

Actually, I think the traditional place for the muzzleloader was hanging above the exit door. :)

Latest posts

Back