• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

hanging over the fireplace

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm going to hang my .45 cal full stock rifle and the powder horn that I just bought above our fireplace in the living room. If it was a center fire rifle I would use two pegs with a couple of empty cartridges to hang it on, but that won't do for a muzzleloader of course. What, other that brass hooks from the hardware store would look good with the gun, you reckon?

My first thought is to make pegs from dowels. There was another thread here not too long ago on the same subject with lots of cool ideas.

Get a pair of table spoons. Preferably w/fancy work on the handles. Flatten w/hammer , bend into a hook w/ the fancy work out. Drill one or two mounting holes through the flattened spoon part. Add a little cloth or felt to the bottom inside of the hook surface. Admire and hang the rifle......oldwood

That is a good idea. One I hadn't thought of. I see old spoons at thrift stores all the time. Thanks.

I’m always picking up shed horns. I used a couple like this on this old gun!

Attachments

• 3EC58491-809F-48C5-AF6C-624E4DC1138C.jpeg
    3EC58491-809F-48C5-AF6C-624E4DC1138C.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 73D33FFF-5964-4E9E-B7D8-E7310453E21D.jpeg
    73D33FFF-5964-4E9E-B7D8-E7310453E21D.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 224
Einsiedler, the deer antler hangers look terrific, but I really like the rifle that's hanging on them! It looks like one of the old Tennessee rifles that has "gone to Texas."

Notchy Bob
NB,

That piece was a gift to me from my old mentor. It is a smooth bore with front & rear sights. Approx. .58 calibre. I suspect it may have began life rifled. Conversion from flint to perc. Lock marked H. Elwell, Warrwnted. Carey, Sellers, and Dillin list the fellow in places such as Liverpool Pa, and Seneca Co. Ohio.
It’s it pretty decent shape and the old mentor did fire it on occasion with lighter loads. I just am happy to have it in a place of honor on my wall. I do not know where my friend obtained the rifle. But he had been collection pieces since the early 1930’s.

Bob

Just a precautionary note in reference to displaying the muzzleloader with horn over the fireplace.

I’m sure you wouldn’t hang the horn full of powder above the fireplace if it’s being used? Rock and brick gets hot and heat rises.

Don’t know your layout my friend and you’ve probably taken that into account . It’s just the first thing that popped into my mind?

Respectfully, Cowboy

Get a pair of table spoons. Preferably w/fancy work on the handles. Flatten w/hammer , bend into a hook w/ the fancy work out. Drill one or two mounting holes through the flattened spoon part. Add a little cloth or felt to the bottom inside of the hook surface. Admire and hang the rifle......oldwood
very cool idea!

I like deer hooves for ML hangers. Not hard to make; just a little messy. I cut and scrape as much tissue off as possible, then just use a salt soak then borax to finish them. See bottom gun...View attachment 44253
I've been making deer feet into hangars since I was 14 years old [Fort Collins, Colorado] by setting foot at 90 degree from short piece of leg bone and soaking in borax for a few days. They are still perfect. BTW that was 74 years ago. Polecat

My "new" horn is empty, never had any powder in it so it should be ok. Thanks.
I don't hunt deer so no antlers or deer feet for me. Now if I could bag a nice wild boar or come up with a pair of big tusks...
I will probably go with the spoon idea. I see old spoons frequently for .50 each or less so you can beat the price.

Just a precautionary note in reference to displaying the muzzleloader with horn over the fireplace.

I’m sure you wouldn’t hang the horn full of powder above the fireplace if it’s being used? Rock and brick gets hot and heat rises.

Don’t know your layout my friend and you’ve probably taken that into account . It’s just the first thing that popped into my mind?

Respectfully, Cowboy

I had thought the same thing. Me personally, my guns are stored well away from the fireplace.

I've been making deer feet into hangars since I was 14 years old [Fort Collins, Colorado] by setting foot at 90 degree from short piece of leg bone and soaking in borax for a few days. They are still perfect. BTW that was 74 years ago. Polecat
OK Dale … no place for airplanes … hangers.

Run a couple of stained pegs into the stone/ brick and go for it. By the way, hanging your horn off one of the pegs is PERFECTLY SAFE. A friend had a serious house fire and had several horns full of powder hanging with his rifles. When we went in to clean up the horns were found and of course the powder was gone. The horns had melted where the fire hit them and the powder burned, black powder uncontained, as in a rifle, DOES NOT EXPLODE.

Back