• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

hanging over the fireplace

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All good ideas I bought a production run ML at gun show few years ago very good shape but one side of the gun was very dark and other side was very light color guess it was from the heat just saying my friend!!!

Over the fireplace is probably the WORST place you could hang any Muzzleloading fire arm.
The heat, lack of humidity is extremely hard on the stock.
I’m not going to spend 150 hrs to build and finish a gun, then hang it over the oven.
Maybe that’s just me.?!

I'm going to hang my .45 cal full stock rifle and the powder horn that I just bought above our fireplace in the living room. If it was a center fire rifle I would use two pegs with a couple of empty cartridges to hang it on, but that won't do for a muzzleloader of course. What, other that brass hooks from the hardware store would look good with the gun, you reckon?
I prefer simple and economical. Do you want to display the gun or the paraphernalia to hang it?. Hardware store 5/16 or 3/38" wood dowel placed on a up angle.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲
F
IMG_2904.jpeg
IMG_2908.jpeg

If proper containers and handling procedures are observed, I'll stand by my comment. I will also agree that there are many instances where you are correct regarding safety with black powder is concerned.

Get a pair of table spoons. Preferably w/fancy work on the handles. Flatten w/hammer , bend into a hook w/ the fancy work out. Drill one or two mounting holes through the flattened spoon part. Add a little cloth or felt to the bottom inside of the hook surface. Admire and hang the rifle......oldwood

Bought a Potsdam musket 30 or so years back ,and the forearm was scorched slightly. Figure it hung over some fire place for a decoration. Glad it did , it turned out to be a good shooter.
Why not make another powder horn and keep it empty for a decoration????????? oldwood

1951 Dad bought me two CW ?surplus? muskets from an acquaintance who'd just lost his only son in Korea. I unloaded it & shot it some, jusy with shot
Pottsdam 007.JPG
Potsdam lock  040.jpg

Always liked Potzdam Prussian Muskets. One I have was pretty much a wreck when It came to me. Sent it to a repair shop somewhere in Va. , and had the barrel sleeved so the .69 cal. Lyman mini ball would fit. Lots of fun shooting those over sized slugs...oldwood

Get a pair of table spoons. Preferably w/fancy work on the handles. Flatten w/hammer , bend into a hook w/ the fancy work out. Drill one or two mounting holes through the flattened spoon part. Add a little cloth or felt to the bottom inside of the hook surface. Admire and hang the rifle......oldwood
now I rely like that idea of a spoon. it is rely repurposing.

From an old text about the early times in Appalachia , it says , (Paraphrased ) , " The forest husbandman (farmer), with harvest in , begins to change occupation to hunter. At first light he's outside smelling the air , his dog looks at him and cries wistfully . He complains to his wife the cabin is too warm , and her reply and advise is unheard. At last , he reaches up to the rafters , and from buck horns , takes down his rifle, shot pouch , and powder horn , and makes sure all is in order for hunting ."
I reference this paraphrased information because of it's reference to hanging the gun on deer antlers. Also , the reference to seasonal change making men abandon all else for the hunt. Have things really changed that much??...................oldwood

I bought my two spoons yesterday at the local flea market. Actually my buddy had just bought a rack from the guy to hang his suspenders on for $4 and I picked up the two spoons and the seller said "just take those too."
We seldom use our fireplace due to breathing problems that my wife has.
When we do make a fire it's only on Holidays, like Christmas, if it's cold out. Occasionally she buys special fire logs at the grocery store that don't seem to bother her breathing.

Just a precautionary note in reference to displaying the muzzleloader with horn over the fireplace.

I’m sure you wouldn’t hang the horn full of powder above the fireplace if it’s being used? Rock and brick gets hot and heat rises.

Don’t know your layout my friend and you’ve probably taken that into account . It’s just the first thing that popped into my mind?

Respectfully, Cowboy

If it is a functioning fireplace the rising heat will ted to dry out and crack the wood stock and leather.
The wood will shrink too.

We seldom use the fireplace due to breathing problems my wife has as a result of asthma as a child. Only use is on special occasions like maybe Christmas, if it is cold enough for a fire. If we do use it I will take the gun down during use.

Over the fireplace is probably the WORST place you could hang any Muzzleloading fire arm.
The heat, lack of humidity is extremely hard on the stock.
I’m not going to spend 150 hrs to build and finish a gun, then hang it over the oven.
Maybe that’s just me.?!
ROGER THAT!!!

Back