• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Handmade Accessories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lfpdlt

40 Cal
Reaction score
I am just getting into muzzleloading and picked up a beautiful flintlock fowler from the classifieds here. I am trying to make as many of my accessories as possible. So far I have completed a hunting bag and combo powder measure, pick and pan brush from a chunk of antler and a turkey beard from one I killed years ago. A powder horn is my next project.

Attachments

• 1C5162BF-03AC-4699-9628-C14E6C6B793C.jpeg
    1C5162BF-03AC-4699-9628-C14E6C6B793C.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 2C741E24-296C-4494-A9DA-C9700FC48BE0.jpeg
    2C741E24-296C-4494-A9DA-C9700FC48BE0.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
When I started into muzzleloading at the ripe old age of about 15 I of course had to make my own accessories!

'Possibles bag' made from my sister's old leather 'hippy' purse and powder horn made from a real horn I found somewhere at the time!

If you look closely at the horn 'spout' you will see I deviated from originality in that I used a piece of .243 Winchester brass as the spout. Heck,it worked well and maybe not so bad as I am sure some original powder horns probably had hand made metal spouts as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0409.JPG
    IMG_0409.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
When I started into muzzleloading at the ripe old age of about 15 I of course had to make my own accessories!

'Possibles bag' made from my sister's old leather 'hippy' purse and powder horn made from a real horn I found somewhere at the time!

If you look closely at the horn 'spout' you will see I deviated from originality in that I used a piece of .243 Winchester brass as the spout. Heck,it worked well and maybe not so bad as I am sure some original powder horns probably had hand made metal spouts as well.
That is really impressive and resourceful.

Good job, I make as much of the fixins for my BP guns as possible for me that is part of the craft, and when it all comes together for the successful hunt there is a sense of satisfaction that I made the required items to make it happen.

I probably would have hung up my guns a long time ago if it weren't for this part of the hobby. Don't get me wrong, I truly like the guns but this "making things" really adds to it.

Very nice work and far better than I can do. I love making my own stuff even if it's not H/C and is also crude in comparison. But it is a large part of the fun of muzzleloading.

Well, last night after reading all the posts about homemade accessories I began to wonder where my powder horn was so I found it and like a dummy I was messing around with the little brass ring at the rear I broke it off!

Well when I made this over 40 years ago I inset the brass decorative plate in the bottom and the little brass swivel rings I used for the strap had just small screw threads so I just predrilled a small hole and screwed them in, one on the front as well.

I am surprised it lasted so long after a lot of 'field carry' so today I fixed it well. I predrilled the brass plate to allow the ring flange to set in it flush and applied thick superglue and it came out perfectly! I did the same with the front as well even though it didn't need it. Should last another 40 years but I probably won't!

Attachments

• IMG_2371.JPG
    IMG_2371.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2372.JPG
    IMG_2372.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 57
Well, last night after reading all the posts about homemade accessories I began to wonder where my powder horn was so I found it and like a dummy I was messing around with the little brass ring at the rear I broke it off!

Well when I made this over 40 years ago I inset the brass decorative plate in the bottom and the little brass swivel rings I used for the strap had just small screw threads so I just predrilled a small hole and screwed them in, one on the front as well.

I am surprised it lasted so long after a lot of 'field carry' so today I fixed it well. I predrilled the brass plate to allow the ring flange to set in it flush and applied thick superglue and it came out perfectly! I did the same with the front as well even though it didn't need it. Should last another 40 years but I probably won't!
That is is wonderful that it has served you for so long. Looks great!

Back