• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Handgun recommendation of a noob

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzippper

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Harpers Ferry pistol in percussion from Dixie Gun Works. Good or bad choice? Can you suggest something you think would be better?

I'm looking at the Harpers Ferry pistol in percussion from Dixie Gun Works. Good or bad choice? Can you suggest something you think would be better?
From what I've read here on the forum many state that single shot black powder pistols aren't the most accurate firearms you can shoot. Doesn't mean they're not fun to shoot, they are.

Why not get a revolver or a muzzle loading single shot with a rifled barrel???
Smoothbore anything is not going to be to accurate as a 1st BP.

Great gun, Great vendor, but you left the most important information out of your request of advice. What are you going to use it for and what do you expect from it.

It’s a good looking flintlock pistol for sure. But like others have said, it all depends on what your goals are. Also, you didn’t mention whether you are considering building from a kit, or buying a completed gun.

I chose the Pendersoli Kentucky flintlock for my first (only) flintlock pistol. My purposes were to learn how to put together a kit of reasonable quality, setting a goal to surpass “factory” finish, have a reasonable shooter in a matching caliber to my hunting rifle, and to have something fun to shoot at the range. If those goals are similar to yours, the Kentucky was a good fit for me.

Rifled makes sense so I will go with a rifled choice.

I plan to buy one completed so I can shoot ASAP and a kit so I can learn about building. Then I will look for a rifle.

It’s a good looking flintlock pistol for sure. But like others have said, it all depends on what your goals are. Also, you didn’t mention whether you are considering building from a kit, or buying a completed gun.

I chose the Pendersoli Kentucky flintlock for my first (only) flintlock pistol. My purposes were to learn how to put together a kit of reasonable quality, setting a goal to surpass “factory” finish, have a reasonable shooter in a matching caliber to my hunting rifle, and to have something fun to shoot at the range. If those goals are similar to yours, the Kentucky was a good fit for me.
Why did you choose flintlock over percussion?

Latest posts

Back