• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Handgun ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdavis

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hei guys. I went to the gun store to buy some ammo, and ended up buying this pistol. It's unmarked, with the exception of a 6 digit number on the barrel. I was wondering if any of you could give me any info on it. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_152654386.jpg
    IMG_20200711_152654386.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20200711_153208598.jpg
    IMG_20200711_153208598.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20200711_152640708.jpg
    IMG_20200711_152640708.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 99
It looks similar to one I have in 45 caliber. I think they were sold by CVA and others in the early 1970s. I think they may have been made by Jukar. Mine had a metal ramrod that fits into a hole in the front of the stock.

It looks similar to one I have in 45 caliber. I think they were sold by CVA and others in the early 1970s. I think they may have been made by Jukar. Mine had a metal ramrod that fits into a hole in the front of the stock.
Ah interesting, does yours have any inscription on it? Thanks again for your input!

gdavis, mine doesn't have anything visible on the barrel except a serial number and it is partially covered by the lock and barrel channel. I haven't pulled the barrel to look for proof marks etc. I purchased it second hand about 6-7 years ago in a deal for a couple of cap and ball revolvers. I'm pretty sure it was a kit gun. I built one similar to yours and mine as a kit back in the mid 1970s. If I remember right it was a CVA kit. It is long gone as I traded it many years ago. It was my first muzzleloader.

Hei guys. I went to the gun store to buy some ammo, and ended up buying this pistol. It's unmarked, with the exception of a 6 digit number on the barrel. I was wondering if any of you could give me any info on it. Thanks in advance!
Does it have a vent hole to allow the flash from the pan to go inside the barrel? I can't tell from your pictures because the frizzen is closed.

It doesn't look like a CVA lock to me. The frizzen spring looks much cheaper than any spring that the guns CVA sold had on their locks.

Also, I've never seen that fancy looking cast edge on the pan on any gun ever sold by CVA. I think the Ultra-Hi company or Stoeger might be the answer.

Can't say for sure who imported it (rules were a lot looser on importing black powder guns years ago) but I have a flint tower pattern pistol that has a nearly identical lock (pan and lock shape are identical but mine has engraving on the lock plate itself). I built it from a kit I bought back in the 70's (@ 1975 IIRC), one of two kit pistols I built that year (the other was a percussion Kentucky) and unless my mind is totally gone they were both sold by CVA. May even have the little builders manual that came with it stashed away with other souvenirs from my youth. The style of your gun is identical to the model CVA sold as their "Colonial" pistol and a google search will pull up plenty of pics of such guns and parts for them as well. I suspect that there were several firms importing these during that period. Somewhere along the line they changed from the early style breech and lock to the CVA patent interlocked drum and breech with a different shaped lock but both styles seem to show up fairly often online, probably more percussion ones than flint though.

Markwell Arms was the importer maybe? They imported a bunch of guns/kits in the seventies from Spain. I have a couple of caplocks that look very similar.

Lack of any other markings than the serial number could indicate it was imported as a kit. Absence of a proof mark anywhere on the barrel (underneath perhaps) would confirm it was a kit.

Back