• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Handconnon profile

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonredbeard

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Gents,
I decided to begin profiling the outside of my brass handgonne today.
Here are two pics.
The tiller end
cannonwork001.jpg

The muzzle end
cannonwork002.jpg

Stay tuned. There is method to me madness.
volatpluvia
PS. sorry about the blurr on the second pic. Too much hand shake.

volatpluvia {PS. sorry about the blurr on the second pic. Too much hand shake}

i guess so after all the ton of fileing u did. :grin:
ive done that before, i thought that my hand was not going to work again.
looks good.

Looks great. :hatsoff: Cant believe that there is actually people out there with enough patience and determination to do that much filing.... :bow: :bow:

Oops!
I forgot to mention. :shocked2: This has been hacksawing so far. :surrender: Even so it was a bit of a workout. I will be hacksawing for a bit more and then I will begin filing. :v It will still be a fair piece of filing, even so.

I have some nice pieces of scrap that I can have melted and cast into something I might want in the future. :hmm:
volatpluvia

Wow :shocked2:

Did you consider getting it cast? You can cut a pattern from polystyrene using a hot wire :thumbsup:

Thanks for the idea Squire Robin,
When we had the handgonne contest in Nov/Dec, I had a machinist drill me a two inch thick piece of round stock. I shot the contest and put it away. Recently I needed something to do so I started hacksawing and filing. I have over a pound of slabs in a drawer. I also have over a pound of sawing granules and bunched strings of filings. I bought a new coarse bastard flie this week and it is a joy to use over my old worn out files. It rips the the brass like butter and does not clog up and gouge furrows out.

Glad you like it. I must finish the profiling and polish it a bit.

How far should I go in polishing? I would imagine not too smooth, after all it is what fourteenth century?

volatpluvia

i like that "trick", saw a little, file a little and so on. works great when u have to bring things to a sertain profile, wether flat or not.
Im thinking im going to have to get on making one of these thing soon, sound like great fun... :thumbsup:

titus,
Do you mean the angled cuts from the chamber area to the waist? I had to lay it out and draw lines to follow of course. Then I turned the blade in my hacksaw with teeth out to the right. I started to cut from the chamber area to the right cutting deeper following the lines to the waist with the gonne in the vise as you see it pictured.
It took a bit of effort for the first four flats which I cut opposite each other. Then the second series of cuts were easier because the cut did not get wider as it went deeper.
volatpluvia

mckutzy,
Yes it is a lot of fun. It is also fun to have people give you a lot of attention at the range because they have never seen anything like it.
volatpluvia

Herz,
Thank you so much for the picture! This is encouraging. I am on the right track. I think I will leave the taper from the chamber to the waist instead of making the waist straight all the way back to the chamber. That appears to be brass, is this correct? Anyway, here is are two pictures of the final curves and chamfers I have filed.
001.jpg

002.jpg

volatpluvia

:bow: That was the next goone I was going to commission a builder to reproduce---but you have done a magnificent job and I would find that a steel version would be a sacrilege (so to say). :v :hatsoff:

Thanks guys,
I assume you looked at the original that Herz posted. That kinda answers the question about how much to polish, huh? :hmm:
volatpluvia

there are several pics of different gonnes on this website..German. European.. Dutch . ect.
[url] http://www.handgonne.com/gonnes.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
The original is cast of bell bronze. Brass is just cheaper and easier to work with and easier to get.
Or does someone know a bell caster?

Hey Herz aus Stahl,

Did you happen to get a picture of what looks like a roundel in the lower left of the picture? Also would you mind posting a pick of that or sending me an email of it if you did?

Thanks,
Frost

Frost said:
Hey Herz aus Stahl,

Did you happen to get a picture of what looks like a roundel in the lower left of the picture? Also would you mind posting a pick of that or sending me an email of it if you did?

If I remember that right it is an handle of something daggerlike. To make a picture of that will take some time. I dont know when I go to the museum next time but I have planned to do so and then I´ll make a pic.

IMG_3975.jpg

Back