• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hand-me-down percussion rifle - homemade?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the old weapons, if it were mine I would restore it if possible as others have mentioned. Like rafterob said I also restored a old stevens 22 took a few years to do it the problem was finding a ejector. Even if it takes a bit of time and money save a few bucks here and there and before you know it your family rifle is again in service. Then just smile every time she cracks.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve been digging around and finding more and more info. I’m still curious about the best way to clean without damaging the base materials. Any suggestions?

I like the old weapons, if it were mine I would restore it if possible as others have mentioned. Like rafterob said I also restored a old stevens 22 took a few years to do it the problem was finding a ejector. Even if it takes a bit of time and money save a few bucks here and there and before you know it your family rifle is again in service. Then just smile every time she cracks.
Thanks. The replies on here have gotten me excited about digging deeper into it.

Two Step:

Smoothbore front stuffers generally have a bore much larger than 3/8" - more like 3/4"

Many older rifles have been shot enough with pure lead boolits that the grooves become filled, making it look like a smoothbore.

Instead of picking at it, I would scrub the bore with a proper brush and some lead remover.
I agree. I would use a used brush wrapped in all copper chore boy. Not solvent. Dry. This will work especially well if you can remove the breech plug. Removes lead quickly and safely.

Back