• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hand Guns' Chronograph Thread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll start.

Third Model Dragoon
Lyman #454613 modified to 230 grain flat base, 35 grains FFG, 709FPS.
Lyman #452389 at 195 grains, 40 grains FFg, 762FPS.

Is that with standard Goex or somesuch powder? Seems I recall you liking Jack’s Battle powder.

That's Goex. JB would probably be about the same velocities as FFg.
Gonna be testing Goex FFFg and 777 as well.
Think maybe I'll just keep adding data as it comes to hand along with whoever else chronographs their loads and would post their results.

I didn't do extensive testing but I did run a few balls over the chrono. Here's what I got from my Traditions trapper .50 caliber flintlock:

20 grains Goex FFFg averaged 671 fps

25 grains Goex FFFg averaged 748 fps

Both using a .490 round ball and .010 patch.

What Chrono are you guys liking?

Do you guys find any problems with the smoke cloud messing with readings or are your sensors far enough away for no problems?

LD

I use a Caldwell and set it up the same as I would for a modern pistol, at about 12 ft from the rest. I didn't see any problems. I think that by the time the smoke reaches the chrono the ball would have already passed over the sensors and registered a reading.

Why the .452-4” bullets but .424” balls, or are you sizing them way down? What are the bore and chamber dimensions?

'Cause I haven't tried round ball yet in the .41 caliber 1858 Remington. All I've shot in it so far is wadcutters, round noses and semi-wadcutters. Won't know if the .424's are gonna be too much oomph on that loading lever linkage til I try's 'em.

'Cause I haven't tried round ball yet in the .41 caliber 1858 Remington. All I've shot in it so far is wadcutters, round noses and semi-wadcutters. Won't know if the .424's are gonna be too much oomph on that loading lever linkage til I try's 'em.
Who made your .41 caliber Remington? I've only seen them in .36 or .44 caliber.

Who made your .41 caliber Remington? I've only seen them in .36 or .44 caliber.

It's a reproduction 1858 Remington .36 with the chambers chambers bored to .412" diameter and a .410" groove barrel.
An excellent gunsmith, Mr. John Taylor of Lewiston, Idaho performed to work.

Before war broke out in 1860 Colt was threatening to make a better 1851 and was experimenting with boring them out to .40 caliber. Mr. Taylor recreated one of those as well. Been shooting .41 caliber round ball in it.
Have found it to be a very nice handling and accurate piece.

Just now chronographed the .424 round ball for the first time in the 1858.
30 grains FFFg Goex, 798FPS.
35 grains FFFg Goex, 943FPS.

More results for the .41 caliber 1858.
Bullet weights are cast from soft lead.
Lyman #41028 (220 grain round flat nose), 25 grains FFFg Goex, 697FPS.
Lyman #41026 (205 grain wadcutter), 25 grains FFFg Goes, 736FPS.
NEI #411-185 (193 grain round nose), 30 grains FFFg Goex, 858FPS.

That 193 grainer really barks. Reckon I'll test some FFFFg and some 777 with these three bullets and see what she does.

The 193 grain round noses.
round noses.jpg

Latest posts

Back